Cell C is the best, and MTN is the worst: HelloPeter

konfab

Honorary Master
This should really be scaled with the amount of subscribers each company has.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I haven't had issues with MTN, and their prepaid data options are the best in the country (eg. R45 for 7 day 500MB & R10 for 1GB midnight data). I do hope I never have to use their customer service though.

konfab

Honorary Master
It isn't.

The number provided only shows the percentage of the received compliments out of the sum of the compliments and complaints. That will only mean something if you start looking at how many people resort to using HelloExtortion as a percentage of their subscriber base.

WireFree

It isn't.

The number provided only shows the percentage of the received compliments out of the sum of the compliments and complaints. That will only mean something if you start looking at how many people resort to using HelloExtortion as a percentage of their subscriber base.
Consider complaints versus the subscriber base.

Vodacom has the largest mobile subscriber base.
Cell C has less than half as many complaints, and about less than half the number of subscribers on Vodacom. This seems to be on par.
MTN on the other hand has much more complaints than Vodacom, and fewer subscribers than Vodacom. They have a problem!

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
MTN has millions fewer customers than Vodacom, but more complaints...

Something isn't right with MTN.

Ecco

Executive Member
I can believe the numbers. I think I logged two complaints against MTN for lousy customer service.

One of those was for issues for porting my number - somebody came back to me a month later to ask if the issue was resolved:wtf:

Hush9300

Expert Member
I once tried calling MTN customer care (173)... The automated response was "The number does not exist". After a few tries, I eventually got through.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Some of my experiences with MTN's call centre beggar belief - unfortunately since I am committed to using MTN's data for some time and the systems are not just slightly wrong, but totally haywire, I end up calling them way too often

lilors

If MTN is he worst, then is it worth getting one of the Afrihost mobile voice and data deals seeing as they use MTN?

cozinsky

Expert Member
If the MTN reception is good where you are, yes.
As with all service providers, location determines the quality of your reception. Some have a bigger footprint than others. I was on MTN for 2 years and in my experience they were pretty crappy (and that in Pretoria which is a major city). Maybe they have improved since. I am now with Vodacom and I am very pleased with the network. I get 4g most of the times.