Cell C LTE-A horrible throughput and unreliable connection

Aya9

When I first connected my Cell C LTE-A router it worked quite well until about two weeks ago,when I started to experience slow buffering and poor download speeds down to 510kb/s. For an LTE router the speeds I get are good enough for Edge,not even 3G.Am I the only one experiencing this ?

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
When I first connected my Cell C LTE-A router it worked quite well until about two weeks ago,when I started to experience slow buffering and poor download speeds down to 510kb/s. For an LTE router the speeds I get are good enough for Edge,not even 3G.Am I the only one experiencing this ?
Hi

Where are you located? Are you still experiencing the problem?

^NS

zigblogs

For many years I had Telkom ADSL which provided a slow but acceptable service. This degenerated to the level of useless afew years ago, and when Telkom admitted they were not really interested in fixing it in anticipation of fibre (which has never arrived ) I move to LTE. I started with Afrihost Rain which was initially brilliant but then degenerated into a slow and unreliable service which Afrihost admitted they could not fix. So I moved to Cell C LTE capped 200Gb package via RSAweb. This has not even started out with anything approaching acceptable service in terms of speed. I have never achieved speeds above about 5mb/s. and on average the speed is about 1.5 mb/s RSAweb keep telling me they are contacting the provider which is apparently Internet Solutions. However Internet Solutions don't seem to have any idea of how to improve and according to emails from my SP are following a strategy of not answering the phone. So I don't see any improvement in the future.

I am located in Glenwood Durban. Approaching Vodacom and MTN I received nothing sensible or even affordable.

So I am now faced with the last LTE option available which is Telkom. They are not offering any guarantees and will not entertain any performance contract. They also insist on a 24 month contract with harsh penalties for early termination. Based on past experience I am reluctant to deal with them. Has anyone out there have a suggestion regarding a way forward? Has Telkom improved? will they be reliable? Are there other services available? I need about 180 - 200 Gb/ month

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
For many years I had Telkom ADSL which provided a slow but acceptable service. This degenerated to the level of useless afew years ago, and when Telkom admitted they were not really interested in fixing it in anticipation of fibre (which has never arrived ) I move to LTE. I started with Afrihost Rain which was initially brilliant but then degenerated into a slow and unreliable service which Afrihost admitted they could not fix. So I moved to Cell C LTE capped 200Gb package via RSAweb. This has not even started out with anything approaching acceptable service in terms of speed. I have never achieved speeds above about 5mb/s. and on average the speed is about 1.5 mb/s RSAweb keep telling me they are contacting the provider which is apparently Internet Solutions. However Internet Solutions don't seem to have any idea of how to improve and according to emails from my SP are following a strategy of not answering the phone. So I don't see any improvement in the future.

I am located in Glenwood Durban. Approaching Vodacom and MTN I received nothing sensible or even affordable.

So I am now faced with the last LTE option available which is Telkom. They are not offering any guarantees and will not entertain any performance contract. They also insist on a 24 month contract with harsh penalties for early termination. Based on past experience I am reluctant to deal with them. Has anyone out there have a suggestion regarding a way forward? Has Telkom improved? will they be reliable? Are there other services available? I need about 180 - 200 Gb/ month
Hi zigblogs

We would like an opportunity to assist.

Kindly PM us your physical address so we can look it up and a number we can reach you on.

^NZ

zigblogs

Don't know what PM is

Cell C contacted me but unfortunately could not assist because the service is supplied by RSA web and cell C don't seem to actually be involved.
RSAweb could not give me the mobile number associated with the sim.
RSAweb Also do not answer their helpline telephone number.
Stay away from RSAweb and cell C would be my advice.

Hi Zigblog.
Unfortunately you are not alone. I went the telkom lte route a few years back when i moved into Glenwood. I originally had the 8ta dongle and speeds where terrible. I was about to sign up for the ADSL 10mbps line when a customer in store advised me to look at the infrastructure. To my surprise, Telkom only had a max 2mbps adsl copper line installed and they suggested going lte. The agent said they were willing for me to try it out for a day and let them know how it goes. I must admit, as soon as i plugged it in i was getting speeds of between 15-20 mbps. This was lightning speed from what i previously experienced. Unfortunately from then, the speeds have been rapidly decreasing and now (believe it or now) i am literally running at 0.5- 1mbps. Upload at 0.2mbps. I have restarted the router, moved the location of the router and cannot get anything above this. Was looking at cell c but not convinced. The strangest thing is that i have taken my router to a clients property in Cliffdale ( which is sat down a mountain range below Summerveld). I powered up and my router & to my surprise, was pushing +50mbps and 20mbps up. And as per Telkom's coverage map is not even listed for any service. I am fed up. Went to telkom shop in Westwood mall last week and the consultant said that i should look at moving. Poor lte, poor and old Adsl and years away from fibre even though they cut the roads last year. Im starting to think about taking the telkom's consultant advise. I really really hope their is an option (affordable as well)

If you have your own modern you can get a SIM only on prepaid from Telkom. They don't advertise it and you have to go to a Telkom shop each month to renew. But it works fine in Glenwood. Download speeds typically 20 mbs upload 5.
LTE is very area specific so try before you buy.