Cell C makes R1.27-billion loss

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Cell C makes R1.27-billion loss

Blue Label Telecoms has released its results for the six months ended 30 November 2018, in which it detailed Cell C's financial position.

Blue Label bought a 45% shareholding in Cell C through a subsidiary in August 2017, and has subsequently provided the network's financial performance as part of its results presentations.

Dups!

Not surprised at all. I think that suggestion that the network be bought by Telkom or join in with Telkom is a great one.

It is not good for us as customers as we need competition but Cell C is no longer offering that competitive edge.

Cius

Executive Member
They could use each other, and would have a much better chance of competing with MTN and Vodacom.

DXL

Expert Member
Its simply about how the company is being run and that is very poorly.

They could have done many things differently.

1. Improve their Data /Voice Network to ensure it works.
2. Offer reasonably priced services to mass market.
3. Offer good customer service.
4. Beat the competition at their own game.
5. Improve coverage where people live and work and make sure it works.

Right now all of the above is way below par.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Guess that's why people aren't getting bonuses....
Yep, while the whole thread was speculating that Cell C were doing their staff in by not providing performance bonuses. I can say without hesitation that Cell C shop floor staff in the shop I used to visit for my Cell C products are the laziest and most disintrested I've come across. One of the reasons I moved to Telkom.

genetic

Honorary Master
Yep, while the whole thread was speculating that Cell C were doing their staff in by not providing performance bonuses. I can say without hesitation that Cell C shop floor staff in the shop I used to visit for my Cell C products are the laziest and most disintrested I've come across. One of the reasons I moved to Telkom.
This. The Telkom shop and Cell C shop at Canal Walk are night and day. Telkom's employee's are far more friendly and helpful.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
When I was with cellc years ago the performance was terrible but the price was great. Maybe they need to up their quality over price.

system32

Expert Member
Operating profit before finance costs and tax stood at R1.43 billion, but finance costs of R4.33 billion pulled the company’s figures down.
They making a profit, but finance charges are killing them.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm not understanding how it's possible to even make a loss in this industry?

It's not like they've only just started up and had a massive initial infrastructure rollout or anything like that.

So is this debt from years gone by holding them back or what?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

It's not like they've only just started up and had a massive initial infrastructure rollout or anything like that.

I think a huge chunk of their current debt issues are due to restructuring dollar based debt into local denomination debt...

Daruk

Honorary Master

You can have a loss in any industry if you're experiencing growth or at least investing back in the business...