Cell C not rushing to offer 5G

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Cell C in no rush for 5G

Cell C is the only South African mobile operator that doesn't offer 5G connectivity, and although it has plans to support the technology, it isn't in any rush.

The company told MyBroadband that it is busy modernising its core network to the architecture necessary for 5G deployment and added that it is progressing discussions with network partners.

Well I dropped Cell C when they recommend I downgrade my data package because I hardly use it. Hint - I didn't use it because I couldn't - not because I didn't want to. Throughout was slow to non-existent.

So they are having the same argument as Telkom on ADSL ("most users use less than 3G").

Since I switched to Afrihost on MTN my data usage went back to normal.

I believe they were late to the party with 3G before? And where did that get them?

Edit: 3G Aug'08: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/4941-cell-c-going-3g.html while the others started years earlier.

5G is just not that great anyhow LTE [4G] has better coverage and is quick enough for 95% of the population.

5G currently drains phones battery quicker and really don't notice the difference between speed 4G vs 5G. Maybe for business use it will help sort of.

5G is just not that great anyhow LTE [4G] has better coverage and is quick enough for 95% of the population.

5G currently drains phones battery quicker and really don't notice the difference between speed 4G vs 5G. Maybe for business use it will help sort of.
While that is true, 5G can potentially service the fixed-site internet better. Not to mention the revenue potential from out-of-bundle charges :ROFL:

Yep, the change from 2G to 3G and LTE were much bigger steps.

The 5G we are getting does not have the latency benefits since they still use LTE for upload. So there is little to no benefit at all.

If they ever start rushing about anything, for any reason whatsoever, please let South Africans know ...

Okay so how is your life so much better now? Do you go around speed test every site you visit?
Easy with Cell C I usually only got 3G indoors nevermind 4G. Now I get 5G. I've recommended them many times in the past because of the cheap data but now they're not so cheap and there's Melon Mobile, Megsapp etc.

44ms latency is basically the same latency as LTE.

Real 5G should get you sub 5ms to highsite and around 10ms to local datacentre. That makes a massive difference in effective performance for most on-line use cases.

Have a look at the Cloudflare speedtest and see the effective speed that you get:
100kb is the typical of web app and website performance
1mb files are typical for things like OS updates and streaming audio.
10mbit to 25mbit is your video streaming
100mbit is basically for large file downloads.

1706715847056.png

For comparison, the 100kb test on my 5G MTN only gets around 12Mbit average, which is about 10 times slower than my fibre connection.
But the 100mbit test gets to around 300mbit.

44ms latency is basically the same latency as LTE.

Real 5G should get you sub 5ms to highsite and around 10ms to local datacentre. That makes a massive difference in effective performance for most on-line use cases.

Have a look at the Cloudflare speedtest and see the effective speed that you get:
100kb is the typical of web app and website performance
1mb files are typical for things like OS updates and streaming audio.
10mbit to 25mbit is your video streaming
100mbit is basically for large file downloads.

View attachment 1654878

For comparison, the 100kb test on my 5G MTN only gets around 12Mbit average, which is about 10 times slower than my fibre connection.
But the 100mbit test gets to around 300mbit.
My DNS is Control D which is not going to be that fast.

Mendes previously said Cell C wasn’t in any rush to launch 5G products as it “unlocks nothing” for consumers.

“2G to 3G unlocked data, 3G to 4G unlocked [streaming] video, 4G to 5G unlocks nothing,” he said.
Not true. Streaming doesn't really work on LTE. We never really got 4G and only marketing hype to sell it as 4G. Only 5G can provide the necessary bandwidth for a true streaming experience. Every LTE provider limits the connection after a certain threshold or during certain times. 5G is unlimited.

Cell C in no rush for 5G

Cell C is the only South African mobile operator that doesn't offer 5G connectivity, and although it has plans to support the technology, it isn't in any rush.

The company told MyBroadband that it is busy modernising its core network to the architecture necessary for 5G deployment and added that it is progressing discussions with network partners.
So they're gonna make the same mistake they made with 3G.

Definitely the type of decision a company makes that is trying to win back the 3rd spot in the market.

So they're gonna make the same mistake they made with 3G.

Definitely the type of decision a company makes that is trying to win back the 3rd spot in the market.
The way I see it they're in a tough spot. They need 5G to stay in the game and know this but also don't have the finances for it. Seems more like they're trying to make excuses to delay it.

Cell C is so broke that they can't even afford a photographer anymore. They're using crappy AI generated images now on their main page.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 161227.png

/Prompt: Black guy wearing orange suit in a library, smiling at camera holding mobile device.

• Haha
Reactions: Swa
Back