Cell C - Phone showing I'm roaming?!

sajunky

Honorary Master
If I could make it better I would. The only people who can are cell c. Ever heard of consumer activism?
Ever heard of sabotage? According to AKC, Vodacom does it on technical side to deteriorate Cell C network (read the latest news on official complaint), so it must be bunch of agents in various places pretending to be customers. I don't say you are one of them, I don't know, but you say you have a mission, so?...

milomak

Honorary Master
You shouldn't generalise your issues to make them out to be the norm.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ever heard of sabotage? According to AKC, Vodacom does it on technical side to deteriorate Cell C network (read the latest news on official complaint), so it must be bunch of agents in various places pretending to be customers. I don't say you are one of them, I don't know, but you say you have a mission, so?...

I am a customer of Cell C's. An unhappy customer. I have no affiliation with ANY cellphone company apart from that fact.
I don't shut up and take it up the backside like some people seem to be happy to do...

I'm effusive with my praise of good service. I'm very noisy about bad service.
Again, you don't like it, you're welcome to ignore me.

Milomak, if it was just my issue, why are there articles about it? Why are MANY people complaining? Why so many threads? What happened to that "high level technical investigation" announcement about HSPA problems, that went very silent...

If AKC had evidence that VC was sabotaging cell c, well surely he has legal recourse? Has he taken any action apart from making excuses?

sajunky

Honorary Master
If AKC had evidence that VC was sabotaging cell c, well surely he has legal recourse? Has he taken any action apart from making excuses?
Read news and followed discussion, it is probably after "high level technical investigation" you refer, but it affects not only HSPA, but any cellular communication:
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/82415-cell-c-out-of-patience-with-vodacom-knott-craig.html
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/545459
Words about action:
Knott-Craig said “I don’t care whether it’s [through] ICASA, or the competition board, or a judge”

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Read news and followed discussion, it is probably after "high level technical investigation" you refer, but it affects not only HSPA, but any cellular communication:
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/82415-cell-c-out-of-patience-with-vodacom-knott-craig.html
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/545459
Words about action:

There was a sticky in the cell c thread about a problem with cell c's hsupa infrastructure. That's the high level investigation I meant. I doubt Vodacom can break cell c's own equipment? They're not icasa after all.

Words about action? Meaningless. Let's see real outcomes.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I doubt Vodacom can break cell c's own equipment?
From my own low-level investigation using external antenna I had my own conslusion. I wrote about it many times, long before March this year. Conclusion was as follows: In my area there was a trong tower which disrupted 3G connection. This tower didn't give any throughput, Such tower refused to register to the network, cause difficulties to find out network, as modem attempts to use the strongest tower. When modem finally registered and established connection, everything was fine till it was handed over to such tower, afterwards there was no throughput. "Full signal - no throughput" as you say.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
From my own low-level investigation using external antenna I had my own conslusion. I wrote about it many times, long before March this year. Conclusion was as follows: In my area there was a trong tower which disrupted 3G connection. This tower didn't give any throughput, Such tower refused to register to the network, cause difficulties to find out network, as modem attempts to use the strongest tower. When modem finally registered and established connection, everything was fine till it was handed over to such tower, afterwards there was no throughput. "Full signal - no throughput" as you say.

You're implying that Vodacom have put up a tower masquerading as a cell c tower in sandton central?

sajunky

Honorary Master
You're implying that Vodacom have put up a tower masquerading as a cell c tower in sandton central?
They don't really need masquuerading, as SIM is programmed to access Vodacom towers. When SIM is proceeding with handover, it is allowed to do by the tower, but such tower is not generating any traffic, as device is in 3G mode. When it happens, modem is stuck to this tower, as is unable to renegotiate connection and the subsequent modem boot-up is affected as well, as modem remember the last succesful connection details and attempts connect to the same tower. This tower refuses to register in 3G mode, while it allowed to handover in the same mode. Such "software glitch" can cause havoc to the original network. It is like the virus infecting DNA.

There are numerous threads related to it "Stuck on... unable to". So I made my educated guess sometime ago, and now AKC says about the same things.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
They don't really need masquuerading, as SIM is programmed to access Vodacom towers. When SIM is proceeding with handover, it is allowed to do by the tower, but such tower is not generating any traffic, as device is in 3G mode. When it happens, modem is stuck to this tower, as is unable to renegotiate connection and the subsequent modem boot-up is affected as well, as modem remember the last succesful connection details and attempts connect to the same tower. This tower refuses to register in 3G mode, while it allowed to handover in the same mode. Such "software glitch" can cause havoc to the original network. It is like the virus infecting DNA.

There are numerous threads related to it "Stuck on... unable to". So I made my educated guess sometime ago, and now AKC says about the same things.

But the phone shows registered on cell c when this is happening. When it's roaming it shows that it's roaming and data works.

sajunky

Honorary Master
But the phone shows registered on cell c when this is happening. When it's roaming it shows that it's roaming and data works.
This is correct. It appears to be still on Cell C network, but it is not. It appears that handover has been completed, but there is no more communication with this tower (at higher protocol layer than radio), so this information is not updated on the device. This problem is more apparent now, when there is more 3G enabled phones, but I observed it since introducing HSPA+ on CEll C.

Last edited:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
My phone also roaming. Edge speed on roaming network is better than Cell C 3G. WTF?

manesan

My phone also roaming. Edge speed on roaming network is better than Cell C 3G. WTF?

I have had to set it to VC as well as it was impacting work as people tried calling me and it would go to voicemail. Also the data is quite atrocious between Sandton and Randburg.

Has Cell C even admitted there is a huge problem on their network?

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I have had to set it to VC as well as it was impacting work as people tried calling me and it would go to voicemail. Also the data is quite atrocious between Sandton and Randburg.

Has Cell C even admitted there is a huge problem on their network?

I'm in the same areas (work and personal), and I find that whilst I cannot access 3G or above (in Sandton, mostly), I can access EDGE, and that it is rather quick.

At home it differs- HSDPA one moment, EDGE the next... I just remain on EDGE, or else all data throughput just vanishes.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
Flip, I am getting this roaming issue all the time now. I am inbetween George and Mosselbay. It is so annoying. My 3g connection comes and goes. I will then selected Cellc and it may connect, if it does it will be fine for some time, but then will drop again. Very annoying. I have to use my Vodacom sim to get proper 3g connection. I think I will move back to vodacom , meh.

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi The Philosopher

Cell C has a roaming agreement with Vodacom. Please change your network settings to roam on Vodacom. No additional charges will be incurred.

^NT

The Philosopher

Expert Member
Hi The Philosopher

Cell C has a roaming agreement with Vodacom. Please change your network settings to roam on Vodacom. No additional charges will be incurred.

^NT

Thanks Cellc. I figured it out just now. Can't believe it took me so long.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
Hi The Philosopher

^NT

Will the data speed be as fast as possible? or will it be limited to edge?