• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Cell C RTL30VW LTE-A home router (all we know about)

Same issue here. I have had this router (Cell C Askey RTL30VW) for a total of 2 days (new contract), and can already see how B-grade this hardware is. :mad:

I'm arranging to return this router and relplacing it with something more reliable.
Had the same issue with my Cell C router. Stopped working after a week.
Replaced it with a decent router and haven't looked back since!!

redbull99

Hi Guys,

I got this router a few days ago and am quite impressed with the hardware. I havent got a comment on the LTE radio as a quick test showed the signal was not great.
The LTE antennas are internal and I have some very nice external antennas. SO when I get time I will strip the unit and install external antennas (with instructions posted on mybroadband).

I am wanting to install the OpenWRT firmware or the DD-WRT firmware (I have a netgear running DD-WRT and it is awrsome).

However on the firmware upgrade page inside the router I saw mention of the OpenWRT firmware. It actually says upload a OpenWRT compatible firmware. (So I am going to try that out this weekend).

I also saw the mention of OpenWRT in the boot and system logs.

This is great news!

I am going to try use an existing firmware for ASKEY routers and if I brick the unit I will try compile a kernel.
The system seems pretty generic. It uses generic firmware (for DD-WRT) across different models. I think this will be relatively easy.

My only problem is if I brick the unit I will need a firmware to TFTP back onto the unit.

There was a link on this post for v 0.23 version of the firmware but I was wondering if anyone had older firmwares and could post them here.

Here are some interesting strings found in the 0.23 firmware which are really good clues

U-Boot 2012.07 [LTE Router V0.0.23,unknown]
arm-openwrt-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.01 unknown) 4.8.3
openwrt-ipq806x-3.14-uImage
ARM OpenWrt Linux-3.14.43
ARM OpenWrt qcom-ipq40xx-ap.dkxx device tree blob
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. IPQ40xx/AP-DK04.1-C1

Redbull99

Thanks for this
i dont know much about routers, can you please explain what this means:
"- no support for Telkom TDD Band 40"

Is it a big deal, is it something I should worry about If want to perhaps use this router on Telkoms LTE/LTE-A network?

spxza

Cell-C supplied this router to me as a C-Fibre customer. It comes with a SIM card inserted and a few GB of LTE per month. One Ethernet port connects to the CPE, with DHCP and a cloned MAC, and the other connects to the rest of my network.

Something that seems really strange about this router: WiFi port isn't bridged with the LAN port. Pain in the ass, so I am forced to use the thing only a gateway, without the wifi function, or throw pack it away and use my existing kit. Even with 0.23.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Cell-C supplied this router to me as a C-Fibre customer. It comes with a SIM card inserted and a few GB of LTE per month. One Ethernet port connects to the CPE, with DHCP and a cloned MAC, and the other connects to the rest of my network.

Something that seems really strange about this router: WiFi port isn't bridged with the LAN port. Pain in the ass, so I am forced to use the thing only a gateway, without the wifi function, or throw pack it away and use my existing kit. Even with 0.23.
This is correct. LTE devices do not bridge cellular link. If you know one, please let us know.

spxza

This is correct. LTE devices do not bridge cellular link. If you know one, please let us know.
At that price point, I don't.

Mikrotik should support most USB LTE devices, which will allow to do whatever you want.

I'm migrating to a Ubiquity-based network - which doesn't support any kind of USB anything. I'm going to use the CellC LTE Router as a failover, positioned where there's better reception.

Code:
Fibre - CPE - USG - USW - LAN,WLAN,etc
               |
              LTE

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Ubiquiti Controller software is usable only in basic configurations, but you want failover, so you will have to play with CLI anyway. In other words, it doesn't justify cost of USG/USW combination. Did you consider Ubiquiti ER-X? It has a full-featured EdgeRouter software, more flexible than crippled USG and is much cheaper. See my project (currently no failover, but it can be added): https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...ice-amp-home-network-project-feedback-welcome

As for your initial question, DMZ option on the LTE router can be used instead of bridging. Setup is identical as with other LTE routers, you will find many posts how it is done on Huawei routers.