Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Misleading headline.
The headline and tagline, which are both posted here, go together. The tagline states:

Cell C subscribers will pay R223,900 per GB to roam on MTN Nigeria’s network and R151,400 per GB to roam on Vodacom Mozambique’s network.

Can you explain how this is not exactly what the article is about?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The headline and tagline, which are both posted here, go together. The tagline states:

Cell C subscribers will pay R223,900 per GB to roam on MTN Nigeria’s network and R151,400 per GB to roam on Vodacom Mozambique’s network.

Can you explain how this is not exactly what the article is about?
Add the word Nigeria to the headline.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, the lack of Nigeria in the headline makes this clickbaity in the extreme.

CeeBee

Expert Member
so what else is new... not just CellC that overcharges a bit on roaming charges... voda and mtn have similar practices... we've had to resort to block international roaming on company phone and data modem sims, as users don't really care about the costs and cant exactly be bothered to go buy a local sim when traveling... old story of 'if you don't pay the bill, you don't really care' :)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
so what else is new... not just CellC that overcharges a bit on roaming charges... voda and mtn have similar practices... we've had to resort to block international roaming on company phone and data modem sims, as users don't really care about the costs and cant exactly be bothered to go buy a local sim when traveling... old story of 'if you don't pay the bill, you don't really care' :)
Vodacom
Vodacom roaming.jpg
MTN
MTN rates.png
CellC
CellC Nigeria.jpg

Compare all the providers in Nigeria, for all operators.

EDIT: And just look at that MTN billing of R250/MB on a competitor's network and Vodacom offering rates of R7.50/MB instead of over R100 only if you pay an extra fee.

Last edited:

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
So besides the clickbait title ... the take-away here is that in Africa even legitimate companies are nothing but scam artists and sharks?

And that is news how?

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I have asked the question many times, but no answer yet:
If Cell C allows you to build up an account of a few R100k they are effectively extending you credit. For that they need FICA approval and need to make sure you are able to repay this. When I open the account with them they only check that I am good for the, say, R1000 per month of my account. How on earth can it be legal for them to allow me to accrue debts 100s of times that???

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why does the destination matter?

We know it's madness regardless of where you go.
The destination doesn't matter... but the headline is in some ways clearly written to get us to click on the thread (at the very least) so that we will voice our utter disbelief...

Swa

Honorary Master

The headline makes it sound like Cell C is allowing users to roam on the local MTN network and then charging them R223.90/MB. So regardless of what the head honcho claims about the headline and tagline, I don't see the tagline when clicking on the thread.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Because we expect roaming data to be expensive
That's why they left Nigeria out of the headline to make it seem worse. Hence click bait.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Because the headline makes it seem as if CellC's roaming on the MTN network within South Africa.
My bad when I read the term roaming I simply filled in international but I see it's not there so I guess there is merit in the criticism.