Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Because we expect roaming data to be expensive
That's why they left Nigeria out of the headline to make it seem worse. Hence click bait.
Yeah sorry I just read in international automatically.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Don't get the 50gig MTN deal. It's roaming on Cell C and you will get a million Rand bill :D

TPM

Charge and fine these profiteers heavily... Like MTN Nigeria?

Sl8er

Executive Member
Anyway, headline aside:

With more than 200 countries and more than 800 operators, it can be a cumbersome process, said Cell C.
So cumbersome. So, soo cumbersome. Instead of putting a team in charge to sort it out once and for all, we'll just, unfortunately, have to keep charging a bazzillion dollars...because "cumbersome."

Aww, poor-poor little old cell c!

*Disclaimer: I have no clue what goes into trying to resolve (negotiate) such an issue, but using "cumbersome" as an excuse is pathetic.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Madness and daylight robbery. I doubt it takes hundreds of hours to make it possible for a customer to roam internationally. :(

I have asked the question many times, but no answer yet:
If Cell C allows you to build up an account of a few R100k they are effectively extending you credit. For that they need FICA approval and need to make sure you are able to repay this. When I open the account with them they only check that I am good for the, say, R1000 per month of my account. How on earth can it be legal for them to allow me to accrue debts 100s of times that???
The same way SANRAL does it...

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
Buy a local sim when you get there, or if that is too much effort, get an international sim like knowroaming.

agel

The headline and tagline, which are both posted here, go together. The tagline states:

Cell C subscribers will pay R223,900 per GB to roam on MTN Nigeria’s network and R151,400 per GB to roam on Vodacom Mozambique’s network.

Can you explain how this is not exactly what the article is about?

RPM, you're not a dumbass, so don't insult us by pretending you are...

Eric

Honorary Master
Misleading headline.
Yes.

#stopclickbait
Rubbish, just stop whinging, you'll feel better immediately.

On topic, i was billed R3500 one month on Cell C for 15Mb data in the US. I even tried to access their site to see what roaming costs are and the page that details roaming costs was broken - you could only search alphabetically to around C. I complained to their call center and twice to Hellopeter and over a year later the site was still borked.

This excuse about passing on the bill does not carry weight. There should be a default reasonable limit for any bill and you should be cut off when that limit has been reached. If you can't monitor usage abroad, then you need to pick your partners carefully.

And as for MTN billing what they do, no surprises there.

Eric

Honorary Master
Misleading headline.
The destination doesn't matter... but the headline is in some ways clearly written to get us to click on the thread (at the very least) so that we will voice our utter disbelief...
You're a sucker if you fell for that logic lol. Are we going to require 500 word headlines to avoid confusing the masses?

Praemon

Expert Member
I have asked the question many times, but no answer yet:
If Cell C allows you to build up an account of a few R100k they are effectively extending you credit. For that they need FICA approval and need to make sure you are able to repay this. When I open the account with them they only check that I am good for the, say, R1000 per month of my account. How on earth can it be legal for them to allow me to accrue debts 100s of times that???
You make a good point. It's basically reckless lending. I suspect this would have to be tested in court before we really know.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
You're a sucker if you fell for that logic lol. Are we going to require 500 word headlines to avoid confusing the masses?
Yes, I think 500 word essays as headlines would be very beneficial...

Its not like adding the word "Nigeria" wouldn't have made the headline considerably more accurate.... not at all.

Eric

Honorary Master
Yes, I think 500 word essays as headlines would be very beneficial...

Its not like adding the word "Nigeria" wouldn't have made the headline considerably more accurate.... not at all.
But then there would be another reason for you to moan. Nah, just keep it short and get it over with. Whingers gonna whinge.

So you thought it was referring SA? :erm: