Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network

supersunbird

Honorary Master
But then there would be another reason for you to moan. Nah, just keep it short and get it over with. Whingers gonna whinge.

So you thought it was referring SA? :erm:
I did. "Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network". I was like wow, I didn't know MTN SA allowed Cell C subscribers to roam on their network, and these poor souls who somehow managed it were charged R223,900 per GB.

My Telkom SIM can and does roam on MTN SA network at times. Roaming is not just international.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You're a sucker if you fell for that logic lol. Are we going to require 500 word headlines to avoid confusing the masses?
"Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN’s network"

New and improved and even shorter... and includes the word massive, as it should:

"Massive charges for Cell C subscribers that roam on MTN Nigerias network"

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
But then there would be another reason for you to moan. Nah, just keep it short and get it over with. Whingers gonna whinge.

You didn't?

Given that both Cell C and MTN are SA companies with a presence here and this is an SA tech site.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The mobile networks are ripping international travellers a new one and the forumites complain about the heading of the story.... SMH.

Swa

Honorary Master

Yes plenty of us did. I would have ignored the thread if I knew it referred to Nigeria. Mybb can change a per MB charge into per GB, incorrectly I might ad, but they can't write "Cell C subscribers charged R223.90 per MB for roaming on MTN Nigeria's network"?

markings

Expert Member
The headline and tagline, which are both posted here, go together. The tagline states:

Cell C subscribers will pay R223,900 per GB to roam on MTN Nigeria’s network and R151,400 per GB to roam on Vodacom Mozambique’s network.

Can you explain how this is not exactly what the article is about?
The initial impression is that users get charged R223k per GB.
All in all it is a most sloppy written article by not getting the numbers and decimal point symbols right.

MyBroadband has become most disappointing.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The initial impression is that users get charged R223k per GB. All in all it is a most sloppy written article by not getting the numbers and decimal point symbols right. MyBroadband has become most disappointing.
Users are indeed getting charged R223k (R223 thousand, R223,000, R223 000). Not sure why you think it is wrong?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Yes, I think 500 word essays as headlines would be very beneficial...
Many people are asking for longer headlines which include all relevant information. What is not considered are the limitations on headline length on many platforms where our articles are shared, including this forum, Facebook, Twitter, and the like.

If a headline exceeds a certain number of characters, it gets cut off. This can lead to truly misleading headlines, which we have no control over.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Many people are asking for longer headlines which include all relevant information. What is not considered are the limitations on headline length on many platforms where our articles are shared, including this forum, Facebook, Twitter, and the like.

If a headline exceeds a certain number of characters, it gets cut off. This can lead to truly misleading headlines, which we have no control over.
But see my improved one that is shorter, and come on, includes the words massive (oh yeah) and even Nigeria:

"Massive charges for Cell C subscribers that roam on MTN Nigerias network"

Pitbull

Verboten
The headline and tagline, which are both posted here, go together. The tagline states:

Cell C subscribers will pay R223,900 per GB to roam on MTN Nigeria’s network and R151,400 per GB to roam on Vodacom Mozambique’s network.

Can you explain how this is not exactly what the article is about?
CellC subscribers can roam on the MTN SA/Vodacom network. So unless you stipulate MTN Nigeria, don't you think it's extremely misleading?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Uncle rpm, nobody really is disputing that Headlines needs to be short and succinct. But in this instance, those parts of the argument don't hold water. A single word added to the Headline would have changed peoples perception of what the story may contain, and been a million times more accurate.

Even SSB's headline which is shorter would be completely acceptable.

Pitbull

Verboten

Could have taken out the "Network" and replaced it with Nigeria. So it would have read:

Cell C subscribers charged R223,900 per GB for roaming on MTN Nigeria

Swa

Honorary Master
Users are indeed getting charged R223k (R223 thousand, R223,000, R223 000). Not sure why you think it is wrong?
No they are charged R223.90 per MB. That's R229,273.60 per GB. Unless you're calculating hard drive space. So as I pointed out why even do a conversion that is incorrect? The quoted figures are in MB and would leave the headline even shorter.

Can they? I thought that they can only roam on Vodacom...
Correct, which is why I was even more confused over a possible slip up.

Kingofmybbknowitalls

Just received this text on a prepaid Vodafone Australia sim, while it is roaming on Vodacom's network in SA:

Vodafone Roaming Data Price MB.jpg

Converting that to 1GB in ZAR, you get:

Vodafone Roaming Data Price GB.jpg

Last edited: