Cell C wants Vodacom and MTN to give back spectrum

system32

Expert Member
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an example of "fixed usage"?

MickeyD

RIP
It's when ICASA eventually activate / register the Win10 software loaded on their notebook that they are using for today's sessions!!! :D :D :D

ICASAwin10.jpg

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I do agree, that Telkom reusing the 2300MHz band for LTE, when it was intended for Fixed Wireless POTS, is wrong.
This gives Telkom an unfair advantage over Vodacom, MTN & Cell C, as Telkom now have access to double the spectrum the others have access to.

Telkom Fixed and Mobile should not be allowed to just share spectrum between themselves, as this was the very reason the Neotel/Vodacom deal fell through.

sajunky

Honorary Master
The main objective is to take out large chunk of spectrum from Telkom. It is why Vodacom do not object it. In the long term it can also afect iBurst and others if these companies do not rollout LTE at all or not fast enough. As a common practice these companies use LTE assigned spectrum for business-to-business cmmunication.

The outcome can be positive for general consumer.

Last edited:

MickeyD

RIP
I do agree, that Telkom reusing the 2300MHz band for LTE, when it was intended for Fixed Wireless POTS, is wrong.
This gives Telkom an unfair advantage over Vodacom, MTN & Cell C, as Telkom now have access to double the spectrum the others have access to.

Telkom Fixed and Mobile should not be allowed to just share spectrum between themselves, as this was the very reason the Neotel/Vodacom deal fell through.
per the article
Telkom said its licence does not preclude mobile usage, responding to Cell C’s proposal.

While it has a legacy point-to-multipoint network in the 2.3GHz and 2.4GHz bands, this is a separate spectrum licence from Telkom’s assignment that is being used for LTE and 4G services.