Cell C wifi calling and prepaid roaming

ODTech

Any cell c agents or someone farmiliar with cell c wifi calling lurking?

Is it possibly to use a prepaid cell c sim card in the United States and have access to wifi calling?

Tector

Is it possibly to use a prepaid cell c sim card in the United States and have access to wifi calling?
Yes you can! Given it is used in a Cell C issued phone

werfie

Expert Member

Yes. I have done this in the past, unless something changed.

ODTech

Yes. I have done this in the past, unless something changed.
Cool.

Did you have to enable roaming or does it just work?

My sister wants to use it in the US but it didnt work. Cellc told her wifi calling must be activated locally by putting the sim in a phone and dialling *147# but it doesnt work. A weird error message pops up.

I went to cellc and the guy at the store said the activation isnt necessary you just need a capable phone and roaming must be turned on.

On the cellc website they only talk about the phone settings and mentions you only need wifi.

Is the missing link maybe the cellc issued phone?

marioat1

Expert Member
Cool.

My sister wants to use it in the US but it didnt work. Cellc told her wifi calling must be activated locally by putting the sim in a phone and dialling *147# but it doesnt work. A weird error message pops up.

I went to cellc and the guy at the store said the activation isnt necessary you just need a capable phone and roaming must be turned on.

On the cellc website they only talk about the phone settings and mentions you only need wifi.

You need airtime too

Cheaper to use whatsapp calling over wifi

Tector

Cool.

Had the same problem. Try putting wifi calling on in phone settings. Then restart phone. Worked for me when the *147# didn't

*edit If there is no option to put it on then it might not be a Cell C issued phone

ODTech

Had the same problem. Try putting wifi calling on in phone settings. Then restart phone. Worked for me when the *147# didn't

*edit If there is no option to put it on then it might not be a Cell C issued phone
Thanks i think her phone is the issue. She just popped the sim in her previous iphone and expected it to work.

At least the iphones doesnt need to come from cellc. I doubt apple would let third parties tinker with ios.

Tector

Thanks i think her phone is the issue. She just popped the sim in her previous iphone and expected it to work.

At least the iphones doesnt need to come from cellc. I doubt apple would let third parties tinker with ios.
She can try updating to newest software and do a carrier update. Should work then. What Iphone is it?

ODTech

She can try updating to newest software and do a carrier update. Should work then. What Iphone is it?
She is going to check and let me know. It will be a while before she can test again though. The sim has to be posted back to her. She sent it so we can do the *147# thing.

sajunky

Honorary Master
She is going to check and let me know. It will be a while before she can test again though. The sim has to be posted back to her. She sent it so we can do the *147# thing.
SIM reprograming is one thing. The phone must receive Cell C carrier update, it can be done only on Cell C network. In other words, unless phone was purchased from Cell C and carrier update was already done at the factory, it won't work. I suggest to purchase a cheap R500 WiFi calling capable phone from Cell C, make sure WiFi calling is working and send it together with a SIM.

Also in contrary to what you were told, cellular roaming should be disabled on that SIM (as it interfere with WiFi calling, while SMS roaming can be left enabled). On some phones (like Huawei Y7 2019) it may be not required, I think, as there is a new option for WiFi calling on which connection secure tunnel to Cell C should be created (cellular call - VoLTE capable - I expect, a cellular data network or WiFi).

For friends and family - https://telegram.org

Last edited:

Tector

SIM reprograming is one thing. The phone must receive Cell C carrier update, it can be done only on Cell C network. In other words, unless phone was purchased from Cell C and carrier update was already done at the factory, it won't work. I suggest to purchase a cheap R500 WiFi calling capable phone from Cell C, make sure WiFi calling is working and send it together with a SIM.

Also in contrary to what you were told, cellular roaming should be disabled on that SIM (as it interfere with WiFi calling, while SMS roaming can be left enabled). On some phones (like Huawei Y7 2019) it may be not required, I think, as there is a new option for WiFi calling on which connection secure tunnel to Cell C should be created (cellular call - VoLTE capable - I expect, a cellular data network or WiFi).

For friends and family - https://telegram.org
The carrier update will have to be done in SA and roaming must be disabled yes. Great idea with the cheap wifi calling phone!

ODTech

Thanks fellas i have clarity now. I've suggested she buy a cheapo phone for this purpose like @sajunky suggested.

The phone she was going to use is a iphone 4s so it wouldn't have worked anyway if the supported list of iphones on cellc's website is anything to go by.

Tector

Thanks fellas i have clarity now. I've suggested she buy a cheapo phone for this purpose like @sajunky suggested.

The phone she was going to use is a iphone 4s so it wouldn't have worked anyway if the supported list of iphones on cellc's website is anything to go by.
Yep, Iphone 4s won't support it. Think only from Iphone 5/6 on...glad you got some solution though