• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Cellphone Distributors in South Africa ?

So I started my online business recently and I have couple of suppliers from the computer and IT industry (Eg. Esquire , Rectron).
I want to start selling smartphones but I cant seem to find proper supplier like how it works with the IT/Computing industry. Do you guys know of any companies that distributes/wholesales smartphones.
Phones like the new Note 9/ IPhone Xs etc.

I've seen many people on bidorbuy or private dealers selling them at extremely discounted prices and in every picture of the box there is usually a MTN sticker with a barcode , where are these guys getting them from ?
Does MTN or even the other networks allow for partnering and reselling ?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Mostly these guys use stock images for the items they are selling. Most probably they are bogus. Bid or Buy is full of thieves and drop sellers.

On network phones: all the contracts state clearly (if anyone bothers to actually read what they are agreeing to) that the device belongs to the network throughout the initial period (i.e. 24 month). At no stage during that period do you actually own any part of the device. This is because you are paying to purchase the device like you would in a house bond or vehicle hp. You are actually paying to use their device. It becomes yours when the initial period ends or you settle the contract (i.e. early cancellation). Too often you see people selling phones stating "unwanted upgrade". They are actually selling something that doesn't belong to them. Should that person default on their contract the network could lock the device and the buyer would have no recourse against the network.

Sumen

Expert Member
Mostly these guys use stock images for the items they are selling. Most probably they are bogus. Bid or Buy is full of thieves and drop sellers.

On network phones: all the contracts state clearly (if anyone bothers to actually read what they are agreeing to) that the device belongs to the network throughout the initial period (i.e. 24 month). At no stage during that period do you actually own any part of the device. This is because you are paying to purchase the device like you would in a house bond or vehicle hp. You are actually paying to use their device. It becomes yours when the initial period ends or you settle the contract (i.e. early cancellation). Too often you see people selling phones stating "unwanted upgrade". They are actually selling something that doesn't belong to them. Should that person default on their contract the network could lock the device and the buyer would have no recourse against the network.
Regarding the network phones, I think he/she meant the phones that hi-online, Game etc sell but are Vodacom/MTN stock.

Yeah I heard that some workers at Mtn/Vodacom stores take out these phones on their name because they can get it cheaper and sell to the public.

Are there any official distributors that I can go to that allows partnering to resell ?
Stores like The Cell Store sell genuine products and at much lower prices than at local stores such as Game/Makro.