Cellphone thief drowns in Zoo Lake

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2012/10/08/cellphone-thief-drowns-in-zoo-lake

A suspected cellphone thief drowned in Zoo Lake in Johannesburg at the weekend while trying to run away, Gauteng police say.
"He might have been a security guard working at Zoo Lake, but we don't know for certain," said Lt-Col Lungelo Dlamini.
"We also think he may have been drunk but cannot confirm at this stage."
The man threatened a woman near the car park of Zoo Lake on Saturday - the day of the Gay Pride Parade - and stole her cellphone.
She enlisted the help of a passer-by and they found the man talking on her phone.
"When he saw them approaching, he panicked and dropped the phone and jumped into the lake and disappeared," Dlamini said.
The matter was then reported to the Parktown police and divers began a search. His body was recovered on Sunday.
The man, thought to be aged between 30 and 40 years old, has not yet been identified.

Wish all the scumbag criminals would go and drown themselves.

chrisc

Executive Member
Drunk, going in deep water = absolute guarantee death will soon follow. There are 20-30 people every year at the beach who go swimming drunk and suddenly find they have forgotten how to swim, or never learned in the first place

MickeyD

RIP
A suspected cellphone thief drowned in Zoo Lake in Johannesburg at the weekend while trying to run away, Gauteng police say.

I've heard of the saying "above the law" but did this oke really think that he could run on water? :D

FNfal

Executive Member
Hahaaaa well the old adage "go jump in the lake" seems to fit here. :D

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Drunk, going in deep water = absolute guarantee death will soon follow. There are 20-30 people every year at the beach who go swimming drunk and suddenly find they have forgotten how to swim, or never learned in the first place

Usually have some sun downers in the water but where I can stand :D Swimming drunk is just plain stupid,especially in the ocean.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Probably stole a Note. Should have gone for something lighter and smaller.

Cius

Executive Member
I wonder if it was not just a case of vigilante justice with this story being given to the press. The cops certainly do nothing against thieves these days. They hardly investigate murders much less cell phone muggers so I would not be surprised to find more and more accidents like this happening to criminals with the agreed upon cover story given to the newspapers.

rph72

Executive Member
At least he dropped the phone first before jumping in the lake. The phone should be OK - no water damage....