Cellular shops are disappearing — even though they still make money

Have you ever wondered why the bread is hidden so far away in some supermarkets ? All the way at the back. You have to walk past the Wimpy, past the liquor store, through the clothing department and the fresh produce department to get to it.

Some items in a mall subsidize others in the mall. Landlords know this and set rentals accordingly.

I'm guessing the smaller cellular shops are closing because it's uneconomical for them to stock the increasing variety of phones the public are demanding: For example, I wanted a mid range dual sim Samsung so I go online.

There is a very friendly cell-shop near me. Run by a Bangladeshi gent, he also sells hubbly-bubbly gear, vapes, some awful-looking audio stuff

But efficient, if I could, I would buy from him more often. After my wife's iPhone SE got liberated from her bag, I happened to mention it and a practically new SE materialised out of the drawer. So she got sorted for less than half-price of a new one

He will supply SIM cards without the onerous nonsense called RICA, just your phone number is required

He replaced the screen and digitiser of my locksmith's phone (he is very hard on phones, goes through 3 a year) so the batteries never need replacing, for R300 and did the job in 45 mins

How do these foreign owned cell phone cover shops afford the rent in malls? I seldom see people on the floor except for the guy at the door shouting at you to come in so he can touch your phone.

But are they profitable?
Headline says yes.... This says... Not enough....
"low profit margins"

The rentals mall owners charge is absolutely insane. It's no wonder you walk into a mall these days and half the shops are closed up.
A friend of mine recently had to close up shop because of the insane rent and business is not doing so well anymore. But it seems the landlord's will rather have empty shops than negotiate a better rental deal.

A friend of mine recently had to close up shop because of the insane rent and business is not doing so well anymore. But it seems the landlord's will rather have empty shops than negotiate a better rental deal.
Empty shops they can probably claim from SARS as loss of income.

Cell companies are moving away from brick and mortar. They are changing to completely online and if not for franchises you would not see cell shops anymore.

There is a very friendly cell-shop near me. Run by a Bangladeshi gent, he also sells hubbly-bubbly gear, vapes, some awful-looking audio stuff

But efficient, if I could, I would buy from him more often. After my wife's iPhone SE got liberated from her bag, I happened to mention it and a practically new SE materialised out of the drawer. So she got sorted for less than half-price of a new one

He will supply SIM cards without the onerous nonsense called RICA, just your phone number is required

He replaced the screen and digitiser of my locksmith's phone (he is very hard on phones, goes through 3 a year) so the batteries never need replacing, for R300 and did the job in 45 mins
'materialised' into his drawer after disappearing out of someone elses.

Have you ever wondered why the bread is hidden so far away in some supermarkets ? All the way at the back. You have to walk past the Wimpy, past the liquor store, through the clothing department and the fresh produce department to get to it.

Some items in a mall subsidize others in the mall. Landlords know this and set rentals accordingly.

I'm guessing the smaller cellular shops are closing because it's uneconomical for them to stock the increasing variety of phones the public are demanding: For example, I wanted a mid range dual sim Samsung so I go online.
Isn't the bakery at the back dude?

How do these foreign owned cell phone cover shops afford the rent in malls? I seldom see people on the floor except for the guy at the door shouting at you to come in so he can touch your phone.

I always kinda assumed they were mostly fronts for money laundering. With high volume/high margin goods like that, it's easy to dump a bunch of stock and say it was sold, or to give them to the guys selling on the street and say the same.

So she has an illegal SIM card now? You better not complain when your local municipal official runs off with some of your town's cash.

A senior industry source who spoke with MyBroadband on condition of anonymity...
Anonymous? Really? I suspect this is just lobbying from one of the cellular companies. These cellular companies are some of the most profitable businesses in the country.
Supply and demand, dudes, supply and demand.

Your source is an idiot
The stores still make money, the SP also say the stores are fine and they the two largest plan on opening more.
Telkom and Cell C are closing, no surprises

Empty shops they can probably claim from SARS as loss of income.
Looks a lot like China Ghost Cities, waiting for the next fool to buy your halve empty mall or a bank to give you a multi million loan. Serpantza and Louis Rossman explains it well in their YT channels.

Back