censorhsip

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaD

Expert Member
This looks like another threadkiller.. you okes sure know how to derail a thread, lol.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is like watching someone piss in the wind. Part of you want to say stop but the other part wants to see how long they'll do it for.

jarr

Expert Member
okay, i admit that i have not read all the posts relating to this whole incident (and of course, now i never will), so quite possibly my perception is skewed, but i've decided to post something anyway...

now, i can understand the deletion of certain threads and posts about this whole unfortunate event (even though i don't see anything wrong with having questions about it, or wanting to discuss it, per se), and i have nothing but respect for this forum and for rpm and the mods. i have no real problem there...

but from reading this thread, i see (veiled) legal threats against certain people, and scare tactics, such as snooping for personal information, being employed. now, once again, i don't know everything that happened or was said, but that kinda bugs me. and it sure doesn't seem to fall within the "rules" of this forum either. surely there should be some consistency when applying these rules?

nocilah

Banned
bb_matt said:
I still haven't figured out what censorhsip is ?

Sounds like Parsnip to me.
censorship in a nutshell is removing objectional material.

classic example:

clockwork orange being ban in the country during apartheid era's. <-- form of censorship. If you were caught with the movie there were legal implications.

another classic example:

threads being deleted from this forum, some with a clear reasoning some with no real clear reason other then to protect someone's ass. <-- who knows?

and that is this thread in a nutshell...

not sure what the lawyer dude is doing here :confused: his explanations are very unclear and unconcise which apparently is not very common for legals..

Vio

Expert Member
Well jarr, unlike you I thought there was allot of good information in the deleted threads. Honestly I'm tired of threads being deleted just because it isn't a majority view. All too many times now someone posts something that the majority sees as controversial/or they don't agree with it and it ends up getting deleted by one of the moderators. MyADSL is a forum for discussion, which means both sides of the coin good or bad.

As for the lawyers, you should put your efforts where it is needed. Threatening members of MyAdsl, invading their privacy and frankly acting like retards is effort wasted.

Peapod

Expert Member
halicon said:
threads being deleted from this forum, some with a clear reasoning some with no real clear reason other then to protect someone's ass. <-- who knows?
the whole merry bunch who went apesh1t actually, as well as MyADSL as a whole. The legal threat didnt come from what was said about me despite what you might think (although if I were a petty minded or immature person I might have gone mockadora). It was a decision that was taken by the owners of this forum to protect it from what could happen should someone else who is obsessed with attention and drama might do should the mood take them. And please, dont go opening up that whole can of worms again .....pretty pretty please.
I seriously think this thread has run it's course. I think the whole argument has run it's course.
Think about it. There has never been heavy handed behaviour from the mods before this - in fact you know us for being a particularly libertarian bunch. There must have been very valid reasons for it and sensibility has surely got to prevail now. Disclosing those reasons if you get my drift, would be just idiotic.
So there, i have broken my vow of silence. Mods, if you think i have said too much, please feel free to delete my post, I am not hysterical about censorSHip for the sake of the common good of this forum and its members.

MaD

Expert Member
I have just spoken to Michael over the phone, and he has explained to me exactly why the recently deleted threads were expended. They were deleted for good reason which had nothing to do with trying to "censor" anyone or stopping them from exercising their rights to freedom of speech etc.

Michael is in fact very liberal in opinion and most intelligent. We have been mates since the start of the Hellkom/Telkom debacle/litigation - and I do trust his motives. Slim I can promise you he is not interested in you personally and he's definitely not a stalker ;) Thing is anonimity only goes so far - and we do not know - for the most part (as most visitors are not registered) who is in the forums and who they are in 'real life' and what motives they may have. No one is trying to be unfair, there are good reasons for what happened.. se-ri-aas..

Can we let this thread die? Its seriously not worth the trouble :(

AdLo

Expert Member
A couple of things that I find worrying regarding censorship on myadsl:

1) The lawyers are talking about defamation and warning/threatening members on this forum through posts and PM about it. Now I know I have said things about Telkom employees that are defamatory. Should I go delete them? Will the forum admin also discuss the matter with the forum lawyers without telling me if Telkom demands the IP and details of the person who posted the message because it is defamatory?

2) What is all this behind closed door ****. The Cele saga was supposed to be openly discussed but instead the admin asked the advice of the forum lawyers without giving warning to members that those threads are going to be deleted.

3) How come a lawyer is allowed to post a link to a page hosted on his server that the forum administrators have no control over. Yes, a reason for this was given as all lawyers do - "but had technical problems (don't know why) and gave up", however IMO this is not a valid reason and done on purpose and anyway the lawyer in question could have just PMed a moderator if he had a problem.

4) How did the specific forum lawyer find out slimothy's personal details? (He posted a link to a page to his own website containing slimothy’s name and telephone number)

5) The lawyer in question’s posted link to a page on his personal website contains a hidden message aimed at slimothy - "Hi, punk. If you want, you can phone me on ********* No, sorry, that's wrong, I meant *******. Alternatively, you could just go to bed early and play with yourself. " IMO this will make members think twice before posting out of fear of the possibility of lawyers finding and posting their personal details on other sites because of message they post on myadsl. (I have PMed the mods)

6) Why does the myadsl admin ask and follow the advice of members who says they are lawyers? They might be lying, deceitful, a poor man’s lawyer, working for Telkom, working for Celemasiko or not even being who they say they are.

7) If a 3rd party such as a Telkom employee complain that I post a hateful, defamatory, copyright-infringing or otherwise dangerous or unlawful content will you provide them with my personal details and IP to protect the forum if a lawyer gives you that advice?

Last edited:

nocilah

Banned
Peapod said:
the whole merry bunch who went apesh1t actually, as well as MyADSL as a whole. The legal threat didnt come from what was said about me despite what you might think (although if I were a petty minded or immature person I might have gone mockadora). It was a decision that was taken by the owners of this forum to protect it from what could happen should someone else who is obsessed with attention and drama might do should the mood take them. And please, dont go opening up that whole can of worms again .....pretty pretty please.
I seriously think this thread has run it's course. I think the whole argument has run it's course.
Think about it. There has never been heavy handed behaviour from the mods before this - in fact you know us for being a particularly libertarian bunch. There must have been very valid reasons for it and sensibility has surely got to prevail now. Disclosing those reasons if you get my drift, would be just idiotic.
So there, i have broken my vow of silence. Mods, if you think i have said too much, please feel free to delete my post, I am not hysterical about censorSHip for the sake of the common good of this forum and its members.
yeah i finally looked on the other side of the coin today and realised that possibility... i know exactly what you mean.

anyways... locking this thread is NOT censorship... it is ending something that i think has run it's course.

Peapod

Expert Member
which adlo, was the crux of the alacos post... we think we can in effect say anything we like about anybody and then disappear off into the ether thinking we have no responsibility to anybody for what we have said, true or untrue, complimentary or defamatory because of our perceived anonymity. The reality is that we cannot - we have to be morally accountable for what we post. It is not hard to find out who anyone is on this forum , for my part i gave up my anonymity pretty much from day one. thats why it is important to be very certain of facts when making statements about individuals, particularly where those individuals are named. so no, we dont have to **** ourselves about sweeping generalisations, but where flame wars start, we need to practice restraint which in the spirit of the unity of this community, is not such a bad thing dont you think?

edit..... yes thank you halicon :D

are we agreed, this is now a dead thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.