Centurion X-Trac Garage Opener

aquadat0r

Hi all,

One of my Centurion X-Trac sectional garage openers 5/10 times fails to open. I can hear the relay clicking, so nothing todo with the remote, I have to wiggle the door a bit and then it will open. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

Hi

Look at the inside of the rail where the chain runs. It often has corroded over time. Two options are take the whole thing apart and sand the inside of rail as well as the contacts. Never lubricate the rail. The reason for this is that Centurion use the rail to get voltage to the motor which moves along the chain. Second option is get a replacement rail. It can be bought in kit form

Hi

Look at the inside of the rail where the chain runs. It often has corroded over time. Two options are take the whole thing apart and sand the inside of rail as well as the contacts. Never lubricate the rail. The reason for this is that Centurion use the rail to get voltage to the motor which moves along the chain. Second option is get a replacement rail. It can be bought in kit form

So this thing, does the motor sit on that drive thing. How does the motor move, is there like a gear rack?

The motor sits on the chain and uses it to move but the chain is static . The frame around it is just used as a guide and it also has 12vdc
that is sent to the motor

Hi

Great advice, jumped in with some sandpaper and cleaned it up. It seems to be much happier and working fine now. Will feedback in a weeks time.

Last edited:
Great advice, jumped in with some sandpaper and clean it up. It seems to be much happier and working fine now. Will feedback in a weeks time.
Hi

So what if one did lubricate it with garage grease (aerosol can). My garage door still works but with same issue as OP coming up occasionally.. Time to replace fully?

So what if one did lubricate it with garage grease (aerosol can). My garage door still works but with same issue as OP coming up occasionally.. Time to replace fully?

No you dont have to replace fully. The whole rail and chain comes apart if you get it off you can clean it properly once the grease is off then sand the corrosion on the rail and clean the two contacts. Otherwise as above buy a replacement rail kit.

Always try use silicon grease or oil for this type of job.

Silicon oil or grease is not recommended if any type of oil is used the same oil that is used for guns is recommended and should only be applied to the vertical sections of the rail

I used to use light machine oil sparingly on the wheel spindles, and silicon spray or furniture polish on the tracks.

Back