vincelamuzika

I recently bought a small car and the previous owner gave me the documents needed for change of ownership but i later realized that its fitted with different engine since it has a different vin number.He gave me the reciept for the engine.The disc has expired and ive been told i cant renew since its not in my name yet.what procedure do i need to follow and what are the costs i might expect

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I recently bought a small car and the previous owner gave me the documents needed for change of ownership but i later realized that its fitted with different engine since it has a different vin number.He gave me the reciept for the engine.The disc has expired and ive been told i cant renew since its not in my name yet.what procedure do i need to follow and what are the costs i might expect
The owner was dishonest as he could have told you in advance about the engine changes has the new engine been registers on the car?

chrisc

Executive Member
Its a trip to the SAPS yard for them to check the VIN (body and frame) and engine number against their stolen items register

The actual inspection is free but very time-consuming, worse during covid. A whole day in fact

You'll have to buy a temporary permit valid for 3 days so you can drive it in the street

If you arrive without a permit, the car will be impounded and you will never get it back. Some cars in their yard have been standing there 30 years