Changing ownership of a number

The Door

Honorary Master
How do I go about changing the owner of one of my mobile numbers? I want my son to take it over. It was a contract number but it's on month to month after the contract expired.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
It will be easier if you cancel the contract and just give him the sim? Unless you have a promo contract deal

When I changed my contract to my name (from my fathers) it was such a pain. I have a black friday contract so i had to do a transfer rather then cancel. MTN double debited me and I had to jump through hoops to get it credited back to my account

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
It will be easier if you cancel the contract and just give him the sim? Unless you have a promo contract deal

When I changed my contract to my name (from my fathers) it was such a pain. I have a black friday contract so i had to do a transfer rather then cancel. MTN double debited me and I had to jump through hoops to get it credited back to my account
Yep. Just ship him the sim. No need to change ownership.

MidnightZA

Expert Member
No, I need to change ownership. He will need to renew the contract and get a new phone... Also it'll help him build his credit profile.

Wont ownership go to him automatically if he takes out a contract on his name on that sim? Part of the while FICA process etc? ie in the case of your death or lost or stolen he will be able to get the number back using his details?

Maybe its best to go to a store or call and ask whats the best way to do it.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Wont ownership go to him automatically if he takes out a contract on his name on that sim? Part of the while FICA process etc? ie in the case of your death or lost or stolen he will be able to get the number back using his details?

Maybe its best to go to a store or call and ask whats the best way to do it.
I didn't know you could take out a contract on an existing sim?

MidnightZA

Expert Member
I didn't know you could take out a contract on an existing sim?

I mean if he had to cancel his contract and send the now prepaid sim to his son. Then the son can take the contract.

My number was originally prepaid, then to contract, then prepaid again, then back to contract. I only ever did 1 sim swop in that time. Cant remember if it was for my first contract period or second contract period. I think it was the second

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I mean if he had to cancel his contract and send the now prepaid sim to his son. Then the son can take the contract.

My number was originally prepaid, then to contract, then prepaid again, then back to contract. I only ever did 1 sim swop in that time. Cant remember if it was for my first contract period or second contract period. I think it was the second
I see. But I think the son may not be eligible to take out a contract yet.

Mobster

How do I go about changing the owner of one of my mobile numbers? I want my son to take it over. It was a contract number but it's on month to month after the contract expired.

Complete section 1,2 and 3 with your sons info
Section 4 with the number and your info (both of you should sign)
Section 5,6 and 7 stay blank except the signatures and date. Have him sign where required on section 5 and 6 as well.

If he doesn’t have a Telkom account go with copies of ID proof of residence and 3 month bank statements.
He will also need a copy of your ID for the change of ownership.

I have never needed this but some say a letter stating you agree to the change of ownership. Some Telkom stores want this apparently. Don’t ask me why. Section 4 of The form where you both sign should be good enough. I reckon if your on a call with him while he is doing this it should also be sufficient.

If he does not have an account with them, they will enter his info and sometimes approve or decline the opening of the account on the spot. If not then it will take up to 14 days but usually quicker than that.
If he has an account with Telkom it will be instant and they will give him a new sim there with same number.

When he takes over the contract it will remain month to month as well.
You will both pay the pro rata amount on the month when he takes over.

Your son needs to go to his local Telkom store with the completed form and all the documents to get it done. You don't need to be in the same store or province for that matter from my experience.

The Door

Honorary Master

Complete section 1,2 and 3 with your sons info
Section 4 with the number and your info (both of you should sign)
Section 5,6 and 7 stay blank except the signatures and date. Have him sign where required on section 5 and 6 as well.

If he doesn’t have a Telkom account go with copies of ID proof of residence and 3 month bank statements.
He will also need a copy of your ID for the change of ownership.

I have never needed this but some say a letter stating you agree to the change of ownership. Some Telkom stores want this apparently. Don’t ask me why. Section 4 of The form where you both sign should be good enough. I reckon if your on a call with him while he is doing this it should also be sufficient.

If he does not have an account with them, they will enter his info and sometimes approve or decline the opening of the account on the spot. If not then it will take up to 14 days but usually quicker than that.
If he has an account with Telkom it will be instant and they will give him a new sim there with same number.

When he takes over the contract it will remain month to month as well.
You will both pay the pro rata amount on the month when he takes over.

Your son needs to go to his local Telkom store with the completed form and all the documents to get it done. You don't need to be in the same store or province for that matter from my experience.
Awesome, thanks a ton Mobster!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Make the number prepaid, then have him then take a new small contract using that SIM?

The Door

Honorary Master
Make the number prepaid, then have him then take a new small contract using that SIM?
Surely it'll still be RICAd in my name?
Going to submit the form from Moneys. Looks like the right one. Hopefully Telkom know that.