Chaos and employees demanding tips - OR Tambo responds

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Africa expects a little palm greasing, it always has. Think of it as a type of Lobola we all pay one way or another. Don't expect any consequence coming from this.

CeeBee

Expert Member
Even the toilet cleaners at OR Tambo expect tips. It's ridiculous.
LOL... i remember how psd off i was about 2 years ago.... was in south of France for 2 weeks biz trip with headoffice, marveled about how everything just works, public services etc, the people generally doing their jobs, no tips expected everywhere you turn.
was actually quite depressed to have to come back.
and sure as hell, within 5 minutes of landing here in Jhb, go to toilet, dude sitting in the corner, all he has to manage is the small toilet area... out comes the open palm for some coin :D

j4ck455

Executive Member
“While the system that broke down is owned and managed by the Department of Home Affairs, the people who provided assistance in managing the queues are employees of Home Affairs and the airport who are trained and briefed to help when something such as this happens,” Jacobs said.

Habitual begging at intersections must be practice for a job at Home Affairs.

Crimson & Blue

Honorary Master
LOL... i remember how psd off i was about 2 years ago.... was in south of France for 2 weeks biz trip with headoffice, marveled about how everything just works, public services etc, the people generally doing their jobs, no tips expected everywhere you turn.
was actually quite depressed to have to come back.
and sure as hell, within 5 minutes of landing here in Jhb, go to toilet, dude sitting in the corner, all he has to manage is the small toilet area... out comes the open palm for some coin :D
It happens because people think it's their civic duty to encourage it by paying. Keep em beggers... I refuse.

chefdude98

Expert Member
I had a strange experience @ CPT airport security.

They scanned my laptop bag. It looks like a normal campus bag.

Anyway, I am polite & say hi to security staff.

1 of them says " give me some snoek. Another passenger gave me snoek on his way back home".

I said it is a laptop bag & walked away.

I think they are use to people giving them things because they don't even seem ashamed to ask for anything.

I am learning I need to toughen up, not be too friendly & not everybody deserves your kindness.

Being timid, kind, friendly just leads to a target on your back.

Last edited:

Magnum

Executive Member
It's a culture thing here in RSA.

Tip jars everywhere, christmas boxes, the list goes on..

Even the ones who provide an ottricious service still have the audacity to ask for tips.
Tips? Spear and arrow's come to mind...

chefdude98

Expert Member
Another experience & this time at Mojo Market(Sea Point).

I just arrived and wanted to try a little of everything.

Bought nachos for R25 and paid with a R50 rand note.

The lady at the till asks me if she can keep the change. I smile and say no.

She wanted to be tipped the cost of the actual item.

I was going to place R5 in the tip jar but I thought **** this. I didnt tip

I think they are accustomed to foreigners giving them big tips cos the rand is worth nothing to foreigners.

It just felt strange. I tip when people deserve a tip & i tip at minimum 10‰.

I am also tired of being a nice/kind person and people leeching onto me & taking advantage.

Sometimes I dont tip & dont give out money to beggars.

I am however donating money to the SPCA or any other charity whenever I can.

People are unappreciative & entitled

Crimson & Blue

Honorary Master
I've resolved to complain to management when experiencing issues like this. Not whinge, but to let them know what's up and that you're not impressed by staff behaviour... And try make note of who, when, where to be more specific... That way you're not just whinging bit doing something. Management can't be everywhere and often won't see this stuff first hand.

customercare@airports.co.za

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
I've resolved to complain to management when experiencing issues like this. Not whinge, but to let them know what's up and that you're not impressed by staff behaviour... And try make note of who, when, where to be more specific... That way you're not just whinging bit doing something. Management can't be everywhere and often won't see this stuff first hand.

customercare@airports.co.za

And the opposite? When you receive good service?

Suspect99

Executive Member
The staff at Cape Town international were friendly and helpful with my grandparents and didnt want a tip. I think we got the best service from them.
In Turkey I had 2 contrasting experiences. One very friendly and helpful, but they wanted a tip, the other terrible and rude.

rodmur

A FRIENDS RECENT EXPERIENCE:
What can go wrong? All went well in the first steps-drivers on time and plane to Jo’burg all on time. I always check my walker at the plane door and it is brought back there when we land in JHB. This time-not very usual- there was a staff person offering to help us get where we were going. Something that is most appreciated as we do not get lost. So off we go to get our luggage which is-of course-carousel #9 at the end of a very long row. He then takes us to the custom and immigration section but to the “Staff, diplomats and assisted persons” lanes which is a bit further but we are ‘processed’ right away. We are happy campers and chatting with Mr. Angel Ramplaka as he takes us to a check-in counter- a bit farther away- but are served right away. This is already a fair bit of walking and I am keeping up but tiring. He chats with the staff and everything seems okay until they weigh our luggage. They explain that we have many kilos too much and they cannot process us. It turns out that the airline we booked with- MANGO AIR- only allows 1 suitcase per person at 20 KG-not 23Kg international planes allow. Also ‘carry ons’ are only 6kg instead of 10kg [and rarely weighed]. And the dreaded 3rd suitcase is 15kg. So we are now about 25 to 35 kgs too many. I am now worried that we will have to rush around to board our plane in time. Efforts by our ‘guide’ to put us through anyway are not successful. We now go to another area which seems to be across the airport to pay for the kilos. Bill and Mr. Ramplaka and our passports go off while Irene and I stay with the criminal luggage. We are watching the clock as we do not want to miss our plane.
Bill is served by the nightmare dodo everyone has encountered at least one time. He explains the situation with support by our guide as to the urgency of our plane leaving soon. So of course, she takes time to slowly review our passports, takes a phone call, then discusses the situation with our guide. Bill is getting a titch stressed and just wants to pay whatever they want so we can leave. FINALLY ITS DONE
In the meantime Irene and I are getting anxious, Irene is determined to get our luggage labeled and get our boarding pass. Somehow or other the woman agrees to do this. Irene had been given a boarding pass at the other place before we got rejected so they put her luggage through. The woman asks me for ID but I don’t have the passport –could she take my drivers license?.. which she accepts. I ask her to put Bill’s luggage and show her Bill’s name on my medical card and she agrees. So now our luggage in labeled but still waiting and Bill arrives with passports and off it goes.
Mr.Ramplaka says we only have a few minutes to get to our plane so we must go fast. We raced off at my highest speed, down two escalators with my walker [not allowed] and we made it-last 3 people to get through. We board the bus and wait. Only 6 people. I look at our boarding pass and note that we are in the first row and I think –we are in business class-great! Suddenly Bill gets off the bus and goes back to the desk. He goes to talk to a man and comes back, and the man hurries to the front and drives us to the plane. It turns out the driver was visiting with the gate staff. We walk up and take our seats and the door closes. The first row is NOT business class. Mango does not have any class at all. It turns out that we left late-10 minutes-as they were waiting for sandwiches which never did appear. We made it to Port Elizabeth safe and sound but a tad older and wiser…..
Mr. Angel Ramplaka got a generous tip and a complimentary letter to his employer. We know that had he not helped us, we would still be wandering around O.R.Tambo International airport.