Chaos at OR Tambo International Airport

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Immigration systems were offline at Terminal B at OR Tambo International Airport on Sunday, causing huge delays for passengers.

Passengers boarding international flights were all funnelled through the security and passport control queues behind the check-in desks of Terminal A. The queue stretched out of Terminal A, all the way through a door that is usually kept closed, to Terminal B.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Our helper pushed us through the massive line of passengers towards the special processing area for crew and assisted passengers. When she was well ahead of us, one of the travellers with me said that she was serious about the “tip”.

“This is South Africa,” he said with a shrug.
Great advertisement.

ThatGuy_ZA

I had the exact same experience except the "helper" refused a R20 note when they saw a bigger note in my wallet. This resulted in R0 tip. Well done guy, well done.

Voicy

Honorary Master
This sounds pretty much exactly like my norwegian gf's experience within her first 5 minutes in the country.

We had to dash to make our local connection, aided by what she thought was a super friendly worker. When I told him we didn't carry cash on us he became very hostile until I pretty much had to tell him off in Afrikaans.

Makes me worry how many tourists get duped by this and leave with a sour taste in their mouthes.

ekske1

Executive Member

Immigration systems were offline at Terminal B at OR Tambo International Airport on Sunday, causing huge delays for passengers.

Passengers boarding international flights were all funnelled through the security and passport control queues behind the check-in desks of Terminal A. The queue stretched out of Terminal A, all the way through a door that is usually kept closed, to Terminal B.
Wakanda!

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
We had to dash to make our local connection, aided by what she thought was a super friendly worker. When I told him we didn't carry cash on us he became very hostile until I pretty much had to tell him off in Afrikaans.

Makes me worry how many tourists get duped by this and leave with a sour taste in their mouthes.
You think this is uniquely south african? Nearly every single country on the planet has people that prey on travellers at airports in some form or another.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
This reminds me of when I was at the airport when it shutdown:
One morning I was driving in to work and was listening to a CD and switched to Radio 702 just before 7. The headline news was about major delays at Johannesburg International Airport (now called OR Tambo) that was caused by a computer problem. The country was at a standstill. I had worked at the airport for a major national airline installing a large number of switches and CAUs and was very familiar with the environment. I was coming up to the Buccleuch interchange and decided to go left to the airport instead of right to the office. Maybe there was something I could do to help.
The the full story over here: https://medium.com/the-technology-burrow/the-day-the-country-came-to-a-standstill-80b85e0e0db8

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
This sounds pretty much exactly like my norwegian gf's experience within her first 5 minutes in the country.

Did you tell him tsek Vaalie?

phaktza

Executive Member

Solarion

Honorary Master
Try Johannesburg Bus Terminal. If you have too many bags to move on your own the hyenas move in fast demanding anywhere from R500 - R1000 (playing on your lack of not wanting to leave your luggage alone) to help you carry it.

Amazingly all the luggage trolleys are missing wheels or broken. Quite a coincidence.

These guys have the whole thing planned out like a well constructed military battle plan. You will really feel Africa in your bones if you use that den of shadiness that is Johannesburg Bus Terminal.

garp

Executive Member
Amazingly all the luggage trolleys are missing wheels or broken. Quite a coincidence.

These guys have the whole thing planned out like a well constructed military battle plan.
I suspect that this is the root cause behind much of the daily inefficiency one encounters, especially in government departments like home affairs. Systems are sabotaged deliberately and there is no incentive to speed up processes because the chaos creates a market for tips and bribes to expedite things. Eskom is basically a large scale example of this.

Solarion

Honorary Master
I suspect that this is the root cause behind much of the daily inefficiency one encounters, especially in government departments like home affairs. Systems are sabotaged deliberately and there is no incentive to speed up processes because the chaos creates a market for tips and bribes to expedite things. Eskom is basically a large scale example of this.
Nail on the head.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
You think this is uniquely south african? Nearly every single country on the planet has people that prey on travellers at airports in some form or another.
Like this? Have never encountered this at a Western European airport.
Admittedly, I haven't encountered this at Johannesburg Airport, but the last time I went through there was probably 2014.