Cheap broadband for everyone: promises made, promises broken

Beri

Expert Member
What will the cost be. Who will pay? People need houses not internet. They need food not internet. Lot of people do not have a computer but they will have internet.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The process to interconnect all Local and Provincial government facilities in Cape Town is well under way (using fibre and radio). There is a serious effort in this regard and the pressure to deliver is real. As far as CT is concerned it's not just talk.

Executive Member
The go big or go home of 100Mbps is awesome (at least it's not a promise of 256K right?), but achieving 100% is quite interesting.

But I think it's a bit of hype, in theory most of cape town has access to 3G services. What I read from this is that DA will be allowing the roll out of LTE - effectively giving access 100Mbps network?

Executive Member
What will the cost be. Who will pay? People need houses not internet. They need food not internet. Lot of people do not have a computer but they will have internet.

People need eduction, with eduction comes food and homes. Internet to schools is a great tool which is why the focus is on schools and government buildings. As they say "give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day - teach a man how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime"

cookiemonster

People need eduction, with eduction comes food and homes. Internet to schools is a great tool which is why the focus is on schools and government buildings. As they say "give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day - teach a man how to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime"

Yes, but houses get votes. Education empowers people and helps them think for themselves...

Bern

Expert Member

Beri, 2012 opens the door on the benefits. Do you think Limpopo would be in the situation they are if people had access to pervasive communication and information broadband access would provide? How easy would it be to hide without controlling the information flow? A point is also just increasing service delivery efficiency, just for say grants, pensions and Home Affairs stuff.

The go big or go home of 100Mbps is awesome (at least it's not a promise of 256K right?), but achieving 100% is quite interesting.

But I think it's a bit of hype, in theory most of cape town has access to 3G services. What I read from this is that DA will be allowing the roll out of LTE - effectively giving access 100Mbps network?

That is not the plan, the plan is to focus on getting infrastructure in place saving money by displacing existing costs, but making sure it promotes a robust provider industry (read ISPs and WiSPs will get access to it). So essentially they will connect all their buildings up across the province instead of paying very high lease and monthly expense costs to Telkom (mostly), they will shift this in to infrastructure of their own and managing their own services. Then selling excess capacity to ECNS guys. Its very clever. They are likely to invest in their own wireless services, they were looking at Wimax a while back, but will prob now go for LTE for their wifi type access to their network (not public access) as it means they can standardise for equipment and have roaming mobile IP telephony for staff (no VC/MTN/Cell C bills when within range). Remember Wimax, LTE, etc are all signalling standards, technically you can use them in various frequencies - they were thinking of using 5.8Ghz (free, same as 802.11a) Wimax.

A note, they don't get to decide if LTE gets rolled out - legally ICASA makes that call.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Beri, 2012 opens the door on the benefits. Do you think Limpopo would be in the situation they are if people had access to pervasive communication and information broadband access would provide? How easy would it be to hide without controlling the information flow? A point is also just increasing service delivery efficiency, just for say grants, pensions and Home Affairs stuff.

That is not the plan, the plan is to focus on getting infrastructure in place saving money by displacing existing costs, but making sure it promotes a robust provider industry (read ISPs and WiSPs will get access to it). So essentially they will connect all their buildings up across the province instead of paying very high lease and monthly expense costs to Telkom (mostly), they will shift this in to infrastructure of their own and managing their own services. Then selling excess capacity to ECNS guys. Its very clever. They are likely to invest in their own wireless services, they were looking at Wimax a while back, but will prob now go for LTE for their wifi type access to their network (not public access) as it means they can standardise for equipment and have roaming mobile IP telephony for staff (no VC/MTN/Cell C bills when within range). Remember Wimax, LTE, etc are all signalling standards, technically you can use them in various frequencies - they were thinking of using 5.8Ghz (free, same as 802.11a) Wimax.

A note, they don't get to decide if LTE gets rolled out - legally ICASA makes that call.

Huh, didn't Premier Zille state it would be a Mesh Network. And I don't think LTE can be used in Mesh Networking if I recall correctly (As each receiver also needs to be a transmitter)

moegoe

True dat

I agree fully! We are in the age, where people need access to different opinions, views, news, etc, etc.
Gone are the days where we would just accept things because our elders said so.
Today people question and look for references if they aren't happy with any given answer.
If the underprivileged South African has access to the internet, he/she won't be so caught up in their little world, with their teachings, morals and ideologies. Technology and the internet in this case, allows one to explore the unimaginable!

Bern

Expert Member
Huh, didn't Premier Zille state it would be a Mesh Network. And I don't think LTE can be used in Mesh Networking if I recall correctly (As each receiver also needs to be a transmitter)

The mesh could either be backhaul 802.11n or such or such a standard for the access network too. The Wimax now LTE would basically have ethernet or fibre connections in to the rest of the network. Basically use what works best in each situation. Mesh can mean various different configurations and can be in selected parts of the network.

I am not a wireless expert, but I can't see why LTE can't be set up in a mesh configuration - basically use certain channels for access and others for backhaul - the same way you do it for a normal wireless network and often using different radios. Most APs now feature at least two radios, often four or more. I would guess the LTE might not be able to do it purely as no one added the feature in to the software yet as it wouldn't be the normal setup for mobile operators.

JStrike

Honorary Master
The mesh could either be backhaul 802.11n or such or such a standard for the access network too. The Wimax now LTE would basically have ethernet or fibre connections in to the rest of the network. Basically use what works best in each situation. Mesh can mean various different configurations and can be in selected parts of the network.

I am not a wireless expert, but I can't see why LTE can't be set up in a mesh configuration - basically use certain channels for access and others for backhaul - the same way you do it for a normal wireless network and often using different radios. Most APs now feature at least two radios, often four or more. I would guess the LTE might not be able to do it purely as no one added the feature in to the software yet as it wouldn't be the normal setup for mobile operators.

To transmit LTE requires a very large amount of power

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Like the poll on the main page suggests... public opinion places little or no faith in the Gauteng or National ambitions.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
So what does "connect every citizen in the Cape Town metropolitan area at network speeds in excess of 100Mbps" really mean? Every home to have 100Mbps hard line, or a wireless blanket over Cape Town with those speeds or access to a network point with in X km such as a school or library?

Also what is the metropolitan area? Every where from Simon's town to Stellenbosch or just central Cape Town?

JStrike

Honorary Master
So what does "connect every citizen in the Cape Town metropolitan area at network speeds in excess of 100Mbps" really mean? Every home to have 100Mbps hard line, or a wireless blanket over Cape Town with those speeds or access to a network point with in X km such as a school or library?

Also what is the metropolitan area? Every where from Simon's town to Stellenbosch or just central Cape Town?

The Cape Town Metropolitan Area AKA Cape Town Metro AKA Cape Town encompasses all of Cape Town.
Stellenbosch is its own town. If the mayor isn't Patricia de Lille, it isn't part of Cape Town.

shogun

Expert Member
So what does "connect every citizen in the Cape Town metropolitan area at network speeds in excess of 100Mbps" really mean?

Well hopefully it doesn't mean they are leasing a single 100Mbps line, and distributing that across Cape Town using a wifi network:p

shogun

Expert Member

Strongly disagree! A painter that did some work for us had hardly any work. My folks put up a gumtree add, and taught his kid how to keep it up to date... Now he has more business than he can handle (so much so that he hardly has time to do more work at my folks place). The possibilities for income generation from just making yourself known, never mind access to email and the ability to search for things, is huge.

Internet is no longer a luxury. It is a commodity that can be used to uplift people in a very real, very immediate way. The sooner people realise this, the better.

LPCPT

Internet access will soon become a commodity like electricity, cell phone, etc.
Almost everybody has an internet capable device. No need for an expensive computer.
Just look in your pocket, yes that gadget you use to call people and get calls on. Most of them can access the internet. Just download Opera mini and away you go. easypeesie

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
In my opinion, in descending order of importance: Food & Water > Work = Education > Shelter > Sanitation.

The internet will provide education, especially since we have Wikipedia. It will also create jobs, directly since people can find work online, and indirectly since major firms would be encouraged to invest in or start new businesses in Cape Town because of the infrastructure.

Bern

Expert Member
To transmit LTE requires a very large amount of power

Every Street light has that in boat-loads. I would expect those as the most likely locations for the radios outdoors. Indoors pretty simple to provide power. Getting backhaul to the Street lights is easy too, reticulation etc is in place.