Cheap cars to service and maintain in South Africa? Also, reliability?

LadyFuschia87

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but joined specifically for this question. I see some of the older posts are a bit outdated and therefore really want some fresh perspective on a good choice for a small run around or just an all round economical, reliable and inexpensive car to service and maintain. This car is going to be my investment for the next 5 years at least. I also don't want to break the bank buying it so a good used vehicle will be my best option. I preferably don't want to spend more than R65 000. The car must be a passenger vehicle with 4 seats and I'd like some advice on power to weight ratio concerning engine capacity?

Thanks in advance!

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum but joined specifically for this question. I see some of the older posts are a bit outdated and therefore really want some fresh perspective on a good choice for a small run around or just an all round economical, reliable and inexpensive car to service and maintain. This car is going to be my investment for the next 5 years at least. I also don't want to break the bank buying it so a good used vehicle will be my best option. I preferably don't want to spend more than R65 000. The car must be a passenger vehicle with 4 seats and I'd like some advice on power to weight ratio concerning engine capacity?

Thanks in advance!

Any car in the R 65k bracket would be cheap to service. I would suggest a Japanese car. More reliable and since you won't be re-selling it, service it yourself. Spark plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. Try get one that had a cambelt done already. Would save you a bit of headache if you can't replace it yourself.

LadyFuschia87

Hi Pitbull,

Thanks for the feedback! If I had the know-how I'd definitely service it myself but unfortunately I don't and also don't know anybody who could do a good enough job of it. I have a Chevrolet Aveo 1.5 2006 model in mind for only R49 000 with FSH. Any advice or opinions on this car?

Thanks so much!

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi Pitbull,

Thanks for the feedback! If I had the know-how I'd definitely service it myself but unfortunately I don't and also don't know anybody who could do a good enough job of it. I have a Chevrolet Aveo 1.5 2006 model in mind for only R49 000 with FSH. Any advice or opinions on this car?

Thanks so much!

No idea on the parts like Fuel filter, air filter and Oil filter. But spark plugs, belts, oil and so on is more or less the same across all vehicles. Would be much better if you bought these and took it to a service centre and pay for labour only. My advise anyway. Either that or get a friend to service your car. Only takes about an hour.

LadyFuschia87

I can definitely do that! I think most of the parts can be bought at midas? Thanks again for your help!

chrisc

Executive Member
There are dozens of places selling service parts. In Claremont you have MasterParts and if its not in stock, they get it for you in a few days. Cost is a small fraction of agents

Likewise windscreen wiper blades. At Honda R 430,00. At AutoParts in Wynberg, R 80,00 (for both)

XennoX

Expert Member
Just be wary of GM dealer services. They're generally considered to be garbage (the service, not the car).

Here's a link to AutoTrader for cars from R0 to R69k. Go wild. ;)

BraBean

Honorary Master
Ford Figo, parts is everywhere. Reliable. Good fuel consumption.

Brawler

Honorary Master
I've always known Figos to be heavy on fuel(for their engine capacity)

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Figo petrol is quite heavy on feul the diesel one is fine . I would go.for yaris or a getz

silver6933

Expert Member
Is sa the cost of servicing depends on the following.

1. The availability of after market parts , that perform the same are OEM. But are cheaper, oil filters GUD, airfilters FRAM etc. So try to choose a car that has a large amount of aftermarket parts available from a Midas or autozone. As mass discounters, you get better prices.

eg Nissan Qashqai front brake pads

OEM (made by ATE for) Nissan R1200 set
Midas ATE pad(loos identical to OEM including the markings on backing plate and shims) R550 set

2. The labour rate at an independent is cheaper.

3. The cost of non service replacement items. EG CV axles, bushes suspension parta etc. Dealer OEM parts have a high marked up, > 100%. So try to find a popular car that has aftermarket support in SA.

The US products are not as well supported. EG the amount of aftermarket parts you can get for a toyota is way more than say a subaru legacy.

My choice

Jap Toyota, Mazda, Honda (the older Jazz are solid)
US Ford Figo, fiesta, focus(there non ST models have rapid depreciation)

I would recommend you look at safety as well.

Look at the service history and get a print out from the dealer.

I would not look at a chev product. They are great when new. But they show signs of wear, quicker than other cars. So cars are just hardier.

kripstoe

Expert Member
An investment makes you money, a car does not. It's a depreciating asset at best.

You're only looking at it from a financial point of view. We all know cars are not a financial investment.

genetic

Honorary Master
Ford Figo, parts is everywhere. Reliable. Good fuel consumption.
Good fuel consumption? :erm:

The Figo has the worst fuel consumption of any small car I've ever driven. It so bad it compares to modern 2.0l engines.

chrisc

Executive Member
I have had 4 Hondas and by a long way they have been the most reliable cars I have owned. Nothing ever goes wrong.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
There something wrong with that car or did you drive many different ones?

Mine gets 13.5km/l or 7.2l/100km (at 120 to 130 indicated speed, if I drove at 110km/h it would be better). I think that's pretty decent.

Anyway, to the OP, any cheap car sold in droves will be cheapish to maintain, even when older, Figos, Polo Vivos, and similar.