Cheap Chinese tech imports and their impact in South Africa

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
From the one-sided article (Mustek was probably the worst of the lot to ask for an opinion)
Mustek said that the exchange rate between the US dollar and the rand is the main factor affecting the pricing of tech in South Africa, however.
Pull the other one, and just admit you're greedy, its your margins that are the main factor.

system32

Expert Member
I tend to import as a last resort.
Main reasons for me importing are:
1.Local unavailability of certain products
2.High markups/prices when products are available locally

MirageF1

Expert Member
Not just SA....everywhere from San Diego to Vladivostok, Reykjavik to Cape Town.

Welcome to the IoT and the new way to make BIG BIG money.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
From the one-sided article (Mustek was probably the worst of the lot to ask for an opinion)

Pull the other one, and just admit you're greedy, its your margins that are the main factor.
Yes, but their business model caters to B2B and those margins, as high as it may be, are there to cover the services channel. Our distributors evolved a long time ago, they are all today B2B services providers. They channel this, they channel that and they abide by those agreements.

I remember back in the day, the late 1990s and 2000s when they were still reasonable. Today, the new model applies to any business, pending, unless you have the purchasing power to negotiate or better-tiered price lists.

Most etailers are importing grey goods which they need to sustain themselves or have exclusivity agreements in place, again those agreements will have a say in your margin.

From a B2C perspective, every time I am at Rectron, Frontosa or wherever, the Takealot vans are packing it in...

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yes, but their business model caters to B2B and those margins, as high as it may be, are there to cover the services channel. Our distributors evolved a long time ago, they are all today B2B services providers. They channel this, they channel that and they abide by those agreements.

I remember back in the day, the late 1990s and 2000s when they were still reasonable. Today, the new model applies to any business, pending, unless you have the purchasing power to negotiate or better-tiered price lists.

Most etailers are importing grey goods which they need to sustain themselves or have exclusivity agreements in place, again those agreements will have a say in your margin.

From a B2C perspective, every time I am at Rectron, Frontosa or wherever, the Takealot vans are packing it in...
Which kind of explains why you have to jump many hoops these days to even qualify for a Rectron account.

zippy

Executive Member
Amazon UK : Not really aware that I am importing anything until the box arrives and it contains a foreign address.

Amazon alexa dot local R1250, buy overseas R550, you wonder why people buy overseas. We have to support incompetent low productivity personnel and greedy importers.
2 x Echo Dot (3rd Gen) from Amazon. Landed, including shipping & Customs = R1 900-00.
Don't have all the individual cost details as a mate purchased them for me. Unit cost was US$50 for 2 x Echo Dots. Obviously this all depends on what shipping option you take and in what mood the Customs official is in on that day.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Had to get a good Mic for my streaming setup, Blue snowball ICE (Amazon $41) Local price (R1539)

When I purchased it it was on special $36 , used Aramex global and it cost R300 to ship, still about 2/3rds the price it costs locally :)

kianm

Honorary Master
Support is not guaranteed if you have a problem with a tech item you import,
Got a few items from overseas and i haven't had any issues. Starting with my console to my phone they are all imports and they still rocking solid