Cheap imported butter is undercutting local brands

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Saw this too. Unfortunately Crystal Valley is a pure lactic abomination....their "cheese" is literally inedible and people have complained about their milk as well.

Intersting factoid: spoke to people at Checkers who said that the "cheap" Ukranian butter we spoke about in this thread, actually should sell for R89.99 for 500g. They ran that special due to overstocking based on incorrect order.

Not sure how true this is, but heard it from a manager and the guy who runs the dairy department at my local Checkers Hyper, when I cornered them at the dairy section.

chefdude98

Expert Member
I bought the Pick n Pay brand of butter cos it was on special.

It tasted like a mix of butter & margarine. Not a fan

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Saw this too. Unfortunately Crystal Valley is a pure lactic abomination....their "cheese" is literally inedible and people have complained about their milk as well.
Never tried their cheese but we buy their butter and milk regularly and haven't had cause to find fault with it.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
That's true of butter in general if you leave it out, especially in a warmer climate like SA. Unless you're using something like a butter bell.
Agreed, in my experience this brand does not last as well as others. Turn it into ghee as soon as possible.