Cheap imported butter is undercutting local brands

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Agreed, in my experience this brand does not last as well as others. Turn it into ghee as soon as possible.
How long will ghee last in the fridge?

I've seen these tubs of ghee at Checkers and have wondered about buying one. Especially since we use 99% of our butter in cooking anyway.

RonSwanson

Expert Member

I've seen these tubs of ghee at Checkers and have wondered about buying one. Especially since we use 99% of our butter in cooking anyway.
Closed in a pantry -- 9 months
Fridge -- over 1 year
Deep Freezer -- there's no telling
But there's no good reason to keep it that long, it tastes good and is great with breakfast food :D

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Closed in a pantry -- 9 months
Fridge -- over 1 year
Deep Freezer -- there's no telling
But there's no good reason to keep it that long, it tastes good and is great with breakfast food :D
Bought some at Spar this morning.

nightjar

Expert Member
No point in a new thread but can we talk about the other end for a minute?
I took advantage of this offer and the good price but, when something is too good to be true, there is usually a catch. The wrapper says 200 sheets which is misleading because there is only one continuous sheet on the roll.
A bit of a sheet deal!!!PnP Steenberg.jpeg

airborne

Executive Member
I took advantage of this offer and the good price but, when something is too good to be true, there is usually a catch. The wrapper says 200 sheets which is misleading because there is only one continuous sheet on the roll.
A bit of a sheet deal!!!View attachment 663456
No perforations?
Must be a defect even the cheapie bog roll have perforations.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
A bit of a sheet deal!!!View attachment 663456

I buy my TP at Clicks. Usually pay R79 for 18, 350 sheet 2-ply, very gentle on the bunghole even after a whole peri peri chicken.

https://clicks.co.za/clicks_pay-less-2-ply-toilet-paper-18-rolls/p/235115

Fox1

Expert Member

Ghee is cheap at Indian spice shops. Make sure you getting butter ghee and not veg ghee. Veg ghee is nasty.

Dups!

On this point, as an aside, I’ve found that Lurpak is a lot more tastier and creamier than the others in the price range
Having tasted anything from Ladysmith to Kerrygold I agree a hundred percent.

For my tastes, nothing beats Lurpak

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Ghee is cheap at Indian spice shops. Make sure you getting butter ghee and not veg ghee. Veg ghee is nasty.
Checkers is stocking this cheap ass veg ghee in their stores at the moment. We nearly got suckered

Grant

Honorary Master