Cheap mobile phones coming to South Africa

TJ99

Honorary Master
I'll believe it when I see it.

Vodafone last week announced that they are aiming to push the limits of affordability
They're doing a pretty good job of that already, I can just barely afford my phone bill. :D

“Vodafone announced unsubsidised prices starting at 'below' US$15 [R108 at 1 USD = 7.18224 ZAR]. The pricing in SA is exchange rate dependent and hasn't been confirmed.
Translation: Expect it to cost about R500. They'll use the same "exchange rates" (lol) that make $480 phones cost R6500 or more here.

Antonf

Expert Member
What's the use having a cheap mobile phone when call, message and data rates are high?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I went into Vodashop Eastgate last week and asked for their cheapest phone. She said it was around 800 bucks! :eek:

Vince0

This has got to be better than Vodacom's "enabling the disconnected masses" with silly webTV deals! Hopefully we see more handsets that are in use in places like India. I saw a solar charge phone available there some time ago.

Matsepane

we need competetive data pricing,not rubbish phones.u remove the battery,te time and date is gone.

TJ99

Honorary Master
This has got to be better than Vodacom's "enabling the disconnected masses" with silly webTV deals! Hopefully we see more handsets that are in use in places like India. I saw a solar charge phone available there some time ago.
It could be, if only they weren't so interested in screwing over the disconnected masses. And the connected ones for that matter. They're going to use their Magic Exchange Rates™ I mentioned above, to make it cost more.

They charge us double the price for the high-end phones, so why wouldn't they do it with the "cheap" ones as well? Anyone remember that story about some Chinese Vodafone ZTE somethingorother, which they were going to sell as "the first Andriod for under R500", that ended up costing over a thousand?

If only I could buy lots of $$ at the real exchange rates and sell them at the special cellphone company exchange rates, I'd be a billionaire.

HBee

Expert Member
This is probably some crappy phones that were destined to be destroyed in some other country. So now this country pays vodacom to dispose of it, and then vodacom sells it to the masses at what seens to be cheap, and then the taxpayer will eventualy have to fork out to have the phones destroyed.

Pretty nice scheme.

Maddmatt

Expert Member
Nobody that can afford Vodacom's stupidly high prices needs such a cheap rubbish phone for internet access. These things must be awful.
I see car guards with better phones than that.

Aka the Oldman

I have a Vodafone 225 being using it for 3 years now. It is a basic phone nothing fancy sends & receives calls and sms's just what I need being a pensioner. For me it works well and I have never had any problems with it.

chrissy

The new deals are much better than before, especially with the top up 135. Got myself a wildfire for R99 on one. And keep in mind the bb deals, things are looking better, I'm guessing there's a lot of heat in the kitchen otherwise they would not be dropping the prices, just waiting for the data to come down so that I can enjoy my phone even more!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MyBroadband Android App

narf23

I went past 8ta - their lowest cost R125 Samsung cell phone does the job perfectly. Using a Vodacom pay-as-you-go SIM card inside..