Cheap wifi 6 router vs expensive wifi 5 router

InternetSwag

Expert Member
I need advice.

My options are Asus RT AX 55 and Asus AX 56U or the Huawei Ax3

Or do I just get a wifi 5 router of the same price like a TP link Archer C80.

Basically I just want slightly better range than the El cheapos that mweb gives for free.

I get coverage in the routers room and the adjacent room, but the far right room does not.

And I hate range extenders

Brawler

Honorary Master
My WiFi router has both 5 and 6 access points and I find the signal strength is about the same, maybe slightly better on 5.
One of those home mesh solutions?

Ben B

Having had all my expensive WiFi 5 routers fried by lightning some time ago, I decided to buy less expensive WiFi 6 models just in case of another lightning strike. I opted for ASUS RT-AX58U as the main and ASUS RT-AX55 as a MESH node and used an old ASUS DSL-AC68U as another MESH node. The solution works great on both WiFi 5 and 6 devices - WAN is 200Mbps Fibre and even at about 30meters from the main router the actual throughput is still above 120Mbps download speed with a WiFi 5 device. The MESH is simple to install and manage. A friend has 3 ASUS RT-AX58U models in his MESH in a very large home/office with very good coverage

Apogee

Having had all my expensive WiFi 5 routers fried by lightning some time ago, I decided to buy less expensive WiFi 6 models just in case of another lightning strike. I opted for ASUS RT-AX58U as the main and ASUS RT-AX55 as a MESH node and used an old ASUS DSL-AC68U as another MESH node. The solution works great on both WiFi 5 and 6 devices - WAN is 200Mbps Fibre and even at about 30meters from the main router the actual throughput is still above 120Mbps download speed with a WiFi 5 device. The MESH is simple to install and manage. A friend has 3 ASUS RT-AX58U models in his MESH in a very large home/office with very good coverage
Have 2x RT-AX58Us in a mesh setup.

They are truly great.