Cheaper Run-Around / Luggage Hauler Suggestions

dyllindd

Hi Everyone,

Hope that you are well. I currently daily drive a 2010 Mercedes-Benz E500 Coupe. I have recently transferred to another geographical location within the same company. The area itself is not very pleasant to drive in (bad road surfaces, crime ridden) and much further away in terms of distance.

I am thinking of buying a sub-R80k daily driver that will be lighter on fuel, while not being a completely bare bones car. (Would also like a bit more boot space for family vacations). I don't have a lot of experience in this market segment so your input is greatly appreciated.

I was thinking along the lines of:
Volvo V50 2.0D
Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI
Older BMX X3 2.0d or BMX X5 3.0d (Or E90 Station Wagon).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)

WesleyDB

At that price range it's probably going to be a pretty old and high mileage model. I think you might be in for some pretty hefty repair bills.I understand coming from a e class Mercedes you still want to have that premium feel but I say It won't be worth it. I'd personally recommended a Nissan livina or Suzuki sx4, (since I'm assuming hatch backs are out). I know this is a bit out of your comfort zone but maybe give them a look.

Lupus

Honorary Master
New Triber.
Good suggestion but it's way out of his price range and coming from a Merc to it would be a bit of a step down. Though it is a workhorse :), my wife is fully utilising this, had one of the back seats down for some gear and it gave about 300 litres of boot space.

dyllindd

At that price range it's probably going to be a pretty old and high mileage model. I think you might be in for some pretty hefty repair bills.I understand coming from a e class Mercedes you still want to have that premium feel but I say It won't be worth it. I'd personally recommended a Nissan livina or Suzuki sx4, (since I'm assuming hatch backs are out). I know this is a bit out of your comfort zone but maybe give them a look.
Thanks Wesley,

I have considered this. I can do quite a bit of vehicle maintenance myself. But I also realise that parts for the Volvo might be more difficult to find than others if I do not want to go the dealership route.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
BMW X3 2.0D, just remember the older ones only had x-drive and the x-drive system will fail, but you can drive it without x-drive just the 4x4 light will be lit on dashboard. 2 of my in-laws has X3 , 2.0D and 3.0I, both has the x-drive system failed. 60k Repair bill at stealership to fix it lol 40k for parts, rest is labour.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Hi Everyone,

Hope that you are well. I currently daily drive a 2010 Mercedes-Benz E500 Coupe. I have recently transferred to another geographical location within the same company. The area itself is not very pleasant to drive in (bad road surfaces, crime ridden) and much further away in terms of distance.

I am thinking of buying a sub-R80k daily driver that will be lighter on fuel, while not being a completely bare bones car. (Would also like a bit more boot space for family vacations). I don't have a lot of experience in this market segment so your input is greatly appreciated.

I was thinking along the lines of:
Volvo V50 2.0D
Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDI
Older BMX X3 2.0d or BMX X5 3.0d (Or E90 Station Wagon).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)
I'd look at the A4 Avant or the E90 SW. Another option if you could find it would be an Accord station Wagon.

Alternatively you could look at the MPV space, something like a gen 1 5008/Zafira/Mazda 7?

dyllindd

Hi Everyone,

Have been looking around at some of the ads. Have come to the conclusion that at my current budget, a station wagon will either need cash invested to get in back into a good condition or I need to look at something smaller.

At around the R80k the luxury wagons have high mileage.

Would a smaller type hatchback better suit the R80k mark? Or will I have similar problems?