Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Flights from South Africa to the UK — cheapest prices compared

The cheapest flights from OR Tambo International in Johannesburg to London Heathrow are currently available from Dutch airline KLM but includes an almost six-hour layover in Amsterdam, a MyBroadband comparison has found.

We compared flights to the United Kingdom (UK) after it announced that South Africa would be removed from its red list for travel from 11 October 2021, eliminating the need for a vaccinated person to quarantine upon arrival in the UK.

surface

Honorary Master
This is great. Hopefully, we will all learn to "live" with Covid as the vaccinations ramp up.

azbob

Honorary Master
OK but which dates are those? And what about return flights?

surface

Honorary Master
OK but which dates are those? And what about return flights?
I was getting about 9K return through Virgin Atlantic. Dates were 15 October to 3 November if I recollect. About 4K less than what I paid in 2018 for identical dates although airline was different back then so there is that. I don't think I got VA under cheapflights back then.

RandomGeek

Expert Member
Have to say, those are quite cheap.
Sadly it's for the UK but would love to see similar places for other decent places.... need to get the hell out of here for a while, this last 1.75 years felt like 5 years.
I was also thinking these prices are good? Is it all inclusive (includes all airport charges fuel surcharges etc etc ) or just the base airline price?

Pay a few bucks more than for KLM and fly direct using Virgin or BA is my recommendation

surface

Honorary Master

deweyzeph

Executive Member
what about flying direct to CPT from LHR?
isnt that cheaper? flying over ocean almost the whole way?

British Airways is only resuming direct CPT->LHR flights on 1 November. As it stands at the moment there are no direct flights to the UK from CPT.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I was also thinking these prices are good? Is it all inclusive (includes all airport charges fuel surcharges etc etc ) or just the base airline price?

Pay a few bucks more than for KLM and fly direct using Virgin or BA is my recommendation

Those prices are one way, not return.

eg2505

Honorary Master
British Airways is only resuming direct CPT->LHR flights on 1 November. As it stands at the moment there are no direct flights to the UK from CPT.
shame, we don't get low cost long haul in SA, flying to for instance Lanseria, or another less busy airport. (Scoot for instance in Asia)
might make prices a lot cheaper.

I guess that's what happens when your so far away from the major centers of trade and industry.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Flew from Europe to SA a few weeks ago, flights down were cheaper than up, and with return was cheaper than the one way flight at the beginning of the year.

Right now prices are good, places are quite full though, I'd expect pricing to start going up again soon enough, think they first want to start inducing demand again before starting to up prices again.