Cheapest Reliable HR monitor for Discovery Vitality?

RaD

With the wide selection of these available, it's tough to tell what the best option would be so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

newby_investor

Expert Member
With the wide selection of these available, it's tough to tell what the best option would be so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
If you have in iPhone, the Fitbit is pretty good.

When I looked at this a while ago, I ended up getting a Polar M400, but I wanted the GPS functionality. The wife got an A370.

I know that the Polar and Garmin both work well. Don't have any experience with the other brands.

Fcon_Vpro

Well if you are disciplined, have a discovery credit card and an apple iphone, then getting the apple watch for +-R900 activation fee is a great option.

abudabi

Expert Member
Your title says cheap, and then you talk about the best option.... 2 mutually exclusive terms really.

The wahoo tickr is fairly cheap when on special every now and then; and does a perfect job for me.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
You need to elaborate on what types of exercise you do plan to do as well as the current smartphone you plan on using with said device.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Your title says cheap, and then you talk about the best option.... 2 mutually exclusive terms really.

The wahoo tickr is fairly cheap when on special every now and then; and does a perfect job for me.
Where are you finding these in SA? When I looked the only options was really Garmin and Polar. Ended up getting a H7, and been considering getting an H10, but would like to give the wahoo a try if they are available.

milan188

If you have a phone with ANT+ functionality then you can get a cheap ANT+ HR monitor and use Samsung Health App

dabean

Expert Member
I've bought 2 of these: Heart Rate Strap with Bluetooth & ANT Transmission (for the family)
and 1 of these: Wahoo Fitness Tickr X Heartrate Belt (for me)

All still going great.

I've only used rep counting once on the Tickr X though. It's fun to hear Siri count your pushups it only works with the Wahoo apps. You do feel like Iron Man when the LEDs flicker along with your heart beat, but I'm not sure that's worth double the price.

abudabi

Expert Member
I've bought 2 of these: Heart Rate Strap with Bluetooth & ANT Transmission (for the family)
and 1 of these: Wahoo Fitness Tickr X Heartrate Belt (for me)

All still going great.

I've only used rep counting once on the Tickr X though. It's fun to hear Siri count your pushups it only works with the Wahoo apps. You do feel like Iron Man when the LEDs flicker along with your heart beat, but I'm not sure that's worth double the price.
What do you link the no name brand one to for vitality points? Polar beats? No issues?

dabean

Expert Member
What do you link the no name brand one to for vitality points? Polar beats? No issues?
I'm not at Discovery sorry, thought it would be compatible with pretty much anything.

If you have a phone with ANT+ functionality then you can get a cheap ANT+ HR monitor and use Samsung Health App
^ this made me think it should work too. It connects to Samsung Health over bluetooth.

Deanoblado

I have a fitbit that works well but i am looking at getting the fitness strap mention above for more accurate HR and for cycling workouts. But how do i load the data to discovery? Which app do i use?

milan188

I'm not at Discovery sorry, thought it would be compatible with pretty much anything.

^ this made me think it should work too. It connects to Samsung Health over bluetooth.
If the HR info comes through in the exercises sessions it should definitely work.

RaD

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will use it mainly for running and boxing. I've bought a TomTom watch for now and I'll see how it holds up.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will use it mainly for running and boxing. I've bought a TomTom watch for now and I'll see how it holds up.
eee... Tomtom was AFAIK the one which isn't so well supported. Hope it works for you.