Cheapest way to get to Cape Town Airport

Fro

I'm going to Cape Town from Vredenburg via taxi tomorrow. I have a flight to Port Elizabeth that afternoon, so I'd just like to know what's the cheapest way of getting to the airport from one of the taxi ranks that I'll get off at.

Uber will cost me between R94 and R115 from a Bellville rank to the airport, which is excessive considering the distance, imo.

Also: what's close to the airport to burn a few hours that's not too expensive?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Friend.
Hitchhike.
Bus.
Taxify.
Uber.
Metered taxi.

You can try your luck by asking a hotel if you can take a ride in their airport shuttle. Offer them R50.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I generally use Uber. It's quick and convenient. Unless you know someone, there's not really much you can do to get cheaper than that. Taxify often comes in a bit cheaper than Uber, but not always.
If you're coming from Town then the MyCiti bus is about R50-60 IIRC, I used it when I was travelling to the airport from the city bowl.
Grand West is not too far from the airport, if that sort of thing floats your boat.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Some taxis go close to the airport, a Bellville -- Gugulethu taxi will go over the bridge over Airport Approach Rd. Get them to drop you there and walk 500m or so.

I did this several years ago.

There is nothing entertaining near or even at the airport; take a book or lots of money for the expensive beers at Spur

Fro

If you're coming from Town then the MyCiti bus is about R50-60 IIRC, I used it when I was travelling to the airport from the city bowl.
Thanks. I think I'll just take an Uber, which should be more convenient, if the bus is that price.

Fro

Some taxis go close to the airport, a Bellville -- Gugulethu taxi will go over the bridge over Airport Approach Rd. Get them to drop you there and walk 500m or so.

I did this several years ago.

There is nothing entertaining near or even at the airport; take a book or lots of money for the expensive beers at Spur
Thanks. I'll ask around there tomorrow.

Pitbull

Verboten
I'm going to Cape Town from Vredenburg via taxi tomorrow. I have a flight to Port Elizabeth that afternoon, so I'd just like to know what's the cheapest way of getting to the airport from one of the taxi ranks that I'll get off at.

Uber will cost me between R94 and R115 from a Bellville rank to the airport, which is excessive considering the distance, imo.

Also: what's close to the airport to burn a few hours that's not too expensive?
Ask on area groups. Surely someone from where you stay will be working there. You might just get a free lift :p

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
you got taxify ?

PM me il send you a code for 1st time user

Get R150 off your 1st trip

scudsucker

Expert Member
When I last travelled that specific route it was R2.50, so R10 was a wild guess for 2018

Fro

safe flight

how did you get there
Uber. It was R150. The experience was nice though - solid, clean car with a driver that didn't say much (just how I like it). The taxi rank we were dropped off at was caotic so I thought it was best to pay a premium for less effort. I paid just as much for a sub-par meal at the airport.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Uber. It was R150. The experience was nice though - solid, clean car with a driver that didn't say much (just how I like it). The taxi rank we were dropped off at was caotic so I thought it was best to pay a premium for less effort. I paid just as much for a sub-par meal at the airport.
You paid R150 to be dropped off at a taxi rank?