Check this out.

Jerrek

Bored at work, so I mapped out the setup we have at home.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rrahl/network.jpg

The router I use is the Linksys WRT54GP2. Here it a product link:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?action=zoom&prid=657&scid=35

MythTV is an open source Linux application. It has two parts: a front end and a back end. The back end consists of a computer with TV cards (as many as you want), SQL server, and an internet connection. You tell it where you live, and it will automatically download program information. It also acts as a server.

The front end is a setup box that you put near your television. You connect the TV out to the TV and hook up a remote control to it. No keyboard or mouse needed. It will connect to a backend server on the network (in my case, wirelessly). You can then request a TV stream and the back end will automatically assign the first available card for you. It will then stream the information over the network. It will also add electronic program guide information!

You can also request that it record something, or pause live TV, rewind, fast forward, and any other other nifty features other PVRs give you. It is essentially a souped up TiVo.

HDTV is currently only available on one of the TVs. I'm working on getting MythTV to do that too, but I fear I don't have a front end box fast enough to decode a HDTV signal.

Down the line:

- Upgrade the MythTV server with an additional 2 satellite and 1 cable TV cards. This will remove the need for satellite receivers in any of the other rooms.

- Implement Asterisk. Asterisk is an open source PBX Linux implementation. It supports voice mail, call forwarding, conference calling, and a bunch of other features you would expect at any company. All of this is done over IP.

- Offer VoIP and TV services to my neighbors [after securing redistribution rights].

Any thoughts? [:D]

LethalChicken

Expert Member
Yes.. that's it .. just make us South Africans feel even crappier about our Internet and TV offerings [V]

We are Telkom - Resistance is Futile - You will be Assimilated

playkiller no.2

Expert Member
Bad!Candian bad[:D], stop depressing my fellow South Africans

Google is so smart,I typed in Hellkom and guess what google said

Don`t you mean.....<insert evil laugh>
TELKOM!