Check your traffic fines and avoid roadblock headaches before you hit the road this Easter

Keeping up to date with your traffic fines is vital because if you fail to pay by the due date, a warrant for your arrest can be issued.

This is simply not true. In most of the country (non-AARTO areas where fines are handled by the Criminal Procedures Act) there are 2 types of fines: one that is given to you on the side of the road, which will already have a court date mentioned on it and essentially functions as a summons, and one that you receive in the post, which does not have a court date on it. If you refuse to pay the first type of fine, then you must attend the court mentioned on the fine at the specified date and time mentioned on the fine. If you refuse to pay the second type of fine, then eventually you might, or might not, receive a hand-delivered summons to appear in court on a specified date and time. In both cases, only if or when you then fail to appear in court does a warrant of arrest get issued against you, not for failing to pay your fine, but for contempt of court for failing to appear.

You cannot be arrested for failing to pay a fine, nor can your profile on Enatis be administratively blocked for refusing to pay. Only if a warrant of arrest for not appearing in court is issued against you can these 2 things happen. Until you've either admitted your guilt by paying the fine, or the court has found you guilty or not-guilty, a fine notice is nothing more than an unproven allegation of wrong-doing. No administrative action can be taken against you for a mere allegation of wrong-doing. It has to be proved in court, or you have to admit guilt.

I have 2 fines for GP registered cars that do not appear on AARTO
I live in Cape Town and was last in Gauteng in 2006 and don't own any GP cars

First summons came on 2nd October 2023. I got the name and email address of the Public Prosecutor in Kempton Park and sent him all the details, including an affidavit

Never heard back. Court case was scheduled for 25th October

I have 2 fines for GP registered cars that do not appear on AARTO
I live in Cape Town and was last in Gauteng in 2006 and don't own any GP cars

First summons came on 2nd October 2023. I got the name and email address of the Public Prosecutor in Kempton Park and sent him all the details

Never heard back. Court case was scheduled for 25th October

That's so bizarre. Have you been to the traffic department to check if these cars are registered on your ID number? That's the only way I can think of that they would link you to 2 random cars.

A few years ago I received a summons to appear in court for a fine that I had no idea about. After digging a bit deeper it turned out to be a parking ticket for a white minibus taxi, however my license plate number belongs to my BMW motorbike. It turns out the traffic officer wrote down the wrong licence plate number on the fine, it was out by 1 digit, and so it then became my problem. A quick email to the Cape Town traffic department sorted it out in no time, and I even received a Certificate of No Prosecution, or something like that, to prove that the fine and summons had been cancelled. I doubt the Joburg traffic authorities are so jacked up though unfortunately.

I received a written fine at the beginning of the year. There is a court date on it for May. I cannot find the fine online with PayCity to pay. Any recommendations? Do I go to the traffic department? On the fine it mentions I can use PayCity.

I received a written fine at the beginning of the year. There is a court date on it for May. I cannot find the fine online with PayCity to pay. Any recommendations? Do I go to the traffic department? On the fine it mentions I can use PayCity.

What area?

This is simply not true. In most of the country (non-AARTO areas where fines are handled by the Criminal Procedures Act) there are 2 types of fines: one that is given to you on the side of the road, which will already have a court date mentioned on it and essentially functions as a summons, and one that you receive in the post, which does not have a court date on it. If you refuse to pay the first type of fine, then you must attend the court mentioned on the fine at the specified date and time mentioned on the fine. If you refuse to pay the second type of fine, then eventually you might, or might not, receive a hand-delivered summons to appear in court on a specified date and time. In both cases, only if or when you then fail to appear in court does a warrant of arrest get issued against you, not for failing to pay your fine, but for contempt of court for failing to appear.

You cannot be arrested for failing to pay a fine, nor can your profile on Enatis be administratively blocked for refusing to pay. Only if a warrant of arrest for not appearing in court is issued against you can these 2 things happen. Until you've either admitted your guilt by paying the fine, or the court has found you guilty or not-guilty, a fine notice is nothing more than an unproven allegation of wrong-doing. No administrative action can be taken against you for a mere allegation of wrong-doing. It has to be proved in court, or you have to admit guilt.
I assume all the above is moot however if you went more than 40kph over the speed limit? It’s just hand cuffs then?

That's so bizarre. Have you been to the traffic department to check if these cars are registered on your ID number? That's the only way I can think of that they would link you to 2 random cars.

A few years ago I received a summons to appear in court for a fine that I had no idea about. After digging a bit deeper it turned out to be a parking ticket for a white minibus taxi, however my license plate number belongs to my BMW motorbike. It turns out the traffic officer wrote down the wrong licence plate number on the fine, it was out by 1 digit, and so it then became my problem. A quick email to the Cape Town traffic department sorted it out in no time, and I even received a Certificate of No Prosecution, or something like that, to prove that the fine and summons had been cancelled. I doubt the Joburg traffic authorities are so jacked up though unfortunately.

These are GP registered cars and Cape Town traffic cannot look them up. They told me to look on AARTO

When I did, both cars registration came up as "Not on system"

These are GP registered cars and Cape Town traffic cannot look them up. They told me to look on AARTO

When I did, both cars registration came up as "Not on system"

The eNatis system is a national system though. Any local or provincial traffic department in the country can lookup your ID number and give you a list of vehicles registered in your name no matter where they are in the country.

I assume all the above is moot however if you went more than 40kph over the speed limit? It’s just hand cuffs then?
So they say, but then again you would need to be arrested, placed in a holding cell and taken to see the magistrate during the next two business days.

Only if a warrant of arrest for not appearing in court is issued against you can these 2 things happen.
Even then, the charge is contempt of court, not driving in contravention of the road traffic act.

If you refuse to pay the second type of fine, then eventually you might, or might not, receive a hand-delivered summons to appear in court on a specified date and time
what you also seem to get are BS SMS notifications telling you the court summons has been printed, or an arrest warrant has been printed

seems like an automated system from the retarded private fine companies that just issues empty threats on a predetermined schedule

... at least that's what someone somewhere told me, I'd of course never not pay a fine promptly, NEVER!

Just bumping this comment. I received the fine in Gauteng. Any help with this would be appreciated.

The eNatis system is a national system though. Any local or provincial traffic department in the country can lookup your ID number and give you a list of vehicles registered in your name no matter where they are in the country.

CofCT tell me this is not possible. I have been to their offices twice

Back