Checkers facing legal action over "missing" R4,000 Money Market transaction

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Checkers facing legal action over "missing" R4,000 Money Market transaction
  • A hawker in Louis Trichardt tried to send R4,000 to her daughter using the Checkers Money Market system.
  • Instead of the money being withdrawn in Thohoyandou where her daughter lives, it was withdrawn in Brits.
  • Langanani Julian Mamburu tried unsuccessfully to get Checkers to sort out the problem and repay her. She is now taking the retailer to the Small Claims Court.
Langanani Julian Mamburu, a hawker from Madombidzha near Louis Trichardt, is hoping that the Small Claims Court can come to her rescue.

[GroundUp]

Shoprite/Checkers’ media liaison department was asked to comment on Mamburu’s case and did so last week.
Shoprite/Checkers urged any customer who may become a victim of fraud to report it to the police so that it can be thoroughly investigated and the perpetrators brought to justice.
Such a poor response from ShopRite/Checkers.
They clearly don't give a sh*t about their customers.
#toobigtogiveashit

And then the next and the next??
It goes without saying Checkers/Shoprite Group do to their DD beforehand, proper DD.
If they can't determine what the issue was then take the R4k "knock" & pay the person with a smile.
The positive PR will be worth waaay more than the R4k "knock".

That's my view at least.

I wonder why Checkers did not investigate this further as there seems to be discrepancies in the process.

I'm sure they have CCTV footage...
They conveniently don't have cctv at all stores or at all times. Insiders know this. First hand experience.

Sh*t...the list is growing... Woolies, Clicks, Dischem, Spur, ShopRite/Checkers....

It goes without saying Checkers/Shoprite Group do to their DD beforehand, proper DD.
If they can't determine what the issue was then take the R4k "knock" & pay the person with a smile.
The positive PR will be worth waaay more than the R4k "knock".

That's my view at least.
How can they prove it wasn’t someone related to this woman who picked up the money?

The right thing to do is let the courts deal with it.

How can they prove it wasn’t someone related to this woman who picked up the money?
Tricky to say, ties again with doing as much DD as possible or determining the cause/issue.

I still feel the best course of action after an investigation is done (pending outcome) is pay the measly R4k.

I know you will say what about creating a precedence & the like then I suppose putting out a puff piece 1 liner explaining the outcome as well as their goodwill. Basically using the incident as a platform for positive PR.

She alleges that the cashier told her that there was something wrong with the system, but then it went through, and she received her transaction number.

She sent the number along with the PIN to her daughter.
gogo-takes-checkers-to-court

Mamburu then needed to pay R2,500 to her other daughter, who lives in Tembisa in Gauteng.

This time she was told that she could not use her own ID number, as it had been used already.

“She [the cashier] told me to use another person’s ID number,” Mamburu states in her court documents.

That is highly suspicious.

The cashier probably scammed a few people on smaller amounts.

Shoprite/checkers: this is a drop in the ocean for them. To the poor woman, it is probably many days of blood, sweat and tears.

They should really do better.

Back