Checkers Ready to Chef meal kits

biometrics

Honorary Master
That kind of money to still cook it yourself?

Exactly why I never bothered with uCook in the first place as the concept seems utterly daft to me when you can buy the stuff yourself for less money.

Instead I pay R55 per person for two to have food already cooked and delivered to my door.

That’s enough to feed two adults and a toddler most nights and still have left overs for lunch the next day.
For me it worked as a single person. If I try buy stuff and cook for myself much of it goes off and is wasted (or I end up donating it to my housemate).

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
For me it worked as a single person. If I try buy stuff and cook for myself much of it goes off and is wasted (or I end up donating it to my housemate).
I always found cooking for one person to be very wasteful.

Unless you maybe cook once for a couple of days in advance in a big batch.

The one thing I like about uCook is that it’s a once a week delivery where now I receive food every day and can be a pain sometimes to work around that.

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
Its half the price of UCOOK, and they do pretty well, also helps with the WTF should I cook for dinner tonight question. Woolies must just launch their version, I don't have a checkers close to my house.

The_David

So i tried this last night. I bought the Bacon and Cauliflower salad with Cream Parsley dressing. It cost R120. Its well presented, the ingredients are of normal Checkers quality. The Display card that tells you what is in the box pulls out with instructions on how to assemble the dish. There was enough for my wife and I and about a portion extra I now have for lunch. The meal itself was actually very tasty.
Our Parcel was however missing the parsley (for the cream parsley dressing) but we did get an extra packet of bacon. I feel sorry for the person that may get two packets of parsley and no bacon.
I bought the greek lamb and butter bean meal as well, which had all the contents as described.
So please check the contents of the box before walking out the store.

The recipe card has punch holes so you can file and reuse it as you wish.
The box itself does take up quite a bit of space in the fridge so if you are going to buy a bunch you may need to unpack them into the fridge and keep the recipe cards somewhere.

We will definitely do this again.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
R120 and you get 3 (ish) portions...

That might actually work out to be relatively worthwhile for a meal or two during the week.

RedViking

Honorary Master
Interesting. I will grab one when it is on sale for R80.

With my luck my Italian Chef Meal when turn out to look like an omelette baked on a grill.

Edit: I see OP already shows the 50% stickers.

Checkers like to mark stuff down on day of expiry. I usually go check when the products expire and then go back on the expiry day to grab the marked down stuff which I freeze anyways.

RedViking

Honorary Master
So i tried this last night. I bought the Bacon and Cauliflower salad with Cream Parsley dressing. It cost R120. Its well presented, the ingredients are of normal Checkers quality. The Display card that tells you what is in the box pulls out with instructions on how to assemble the dish. There was enough for my wife and I and about a portion extra I now have for lunch. The meal itself was actually very tasty.
Our Parcel was however missing the parsley (for the cream parsley dressing) but we did get an extra packet of bacon. I feel sorry for the person that may get two packets of parsley and no bacon.
I bought the greek lamb and butter bean meal as well, which had all the contents as described.
So please check the contents of the box before walking out the store.

The recipe card has punch holes so you can file and reuse it as you wish.
The box itself does take up quite a bit of space in the fridge so if you are going to buy a bunch you may need to unpack them into the fridge and keep the recipe cards somewhere.

We will definitely do this again.
Post photos of the recipe card and ingredients then we can make it for a 1/3 of the price. :sneaky:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Wasnt too bad.. Could do with a bit more flavor complexity but it's not bad value
Ignoring the broccoli... cream does not belong in a carbonara. I'm not sure how much you paid for the ingredients I'm willing to bet you can make twice as much for less just by buying the ingredients individually.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Ignoring the broccoli... cream does not belong in a carbonara. I'm not sure how much you paid for the ingredients I'm willing to bet you can make twice as much for less just by buying the ingredients individually.
I agree on all points.. There is an element of convenience about it though which is nice.. My own carbonara has no cream and tastes better but is a bit more work

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I agree on all points.. There is an element of convenience about it though which is nice.. My own carbonara has no cream and tastes better but is a bit more work
Is it really? It takes less time to assemble the sauce than it does to cook the pasta. I prefer making it with pancetta but the missus can't stand the smell of it... so we have bacon. :eek:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Is it really? It takes less time to assemble the sauce than it does to cook the pasta. I prefer making it with pancetta but the missus can't stand the smell of it... so we have bacon. :eek:
You need a new missus.... Mine is the same and I just can't offload the defective model