Checkers Ready to Chef meal kits

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
I agree. These boxes were not around when he started off.
The prices seem high to me. At R18 to the £, a UK equivalent would cost ZAR 180, but would include a £6 or 7 bottle of wine, a main for two, a side or starter, a vegetable and a sweet/desert. The UK is said to be expensive compared to SA., but that may be historical. I shop in both, but prices move so much, as does the exchange rate, that it is difficult to compare. As a rough guide I would say that SA has become much the same as the UK, but a few years ago was generally cheaper. But such comparisons are difficult. For example sliced bread is zero rated for VAT here, but (for white) is standard rated in SA. In the UK brown sliced is often more expensive than white, and almost always more expensive for premium varieties. Kerry Gold butter was until recently cheaper in SA then the UK, but not these days.
Some years ago a UK chain was selling a well known SA wine at less than in SA shops. (We have Excise duty here, and our VAT rate was higher than in SA at the time: it is now 20%.)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I agree. These boxes were not around when he started off.
The prices seem high to me. At R18 to the £, a UK equivalent would cost ZAR 180, but would include a £6 or 7 bottle of wine, a main for two, a side or starter, a vegetable and a sweet/desert. The UK is said to be expensive compared to SA., but that may be historical. I shop in both, but prices move so much, as does the exchange rate, that it is difficult to compare. As a rough guide I would say that SA has become much the same as the UK, but a few years ago was generally cheaper. But such comparisons are difficult. For example sliced bread is zero rated for VAT here, but (for white) is standard rated in SA. In the UK brown sliced is often more expensive than white, and almost always more expensive for premium varieties. Kerry Gold butter was until recently cheaper in SA then the UK, but not these days.
Some years ago a UK chain was selling a well known SA wine at less than in SA shops. (We have Excise duty here, and our VAT rate was higher than in SA at the time: it is now 20%.)
Please point me to a Meal Kit product in the UK that costs around 10 pounds, and includes a bottle of wine, a main for two, side or starter, vegetable and a dessert...

Yes some of our stuff is getting expensive, but its swings and round abouts by and large currently.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Now this is a great idea... The thing to look out for is when they slap the 50% off sticker on it because it is the day of expiry. A balanced meal for two at R60-R85 is not a bad deal at all

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
Now this is a great idea... The thing to look out for is when they slap the 50% off sticker on it because it is the day of expiry. A balanced meal for two at R60-R85 is not a bad deal at all
Now we need a thread with sell by dates of the boxes and the Checkers they are at, so everyone knows when and where to go buy it.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Picked mine up from St Johns Checkers last night.... They actually had only a few left so were clearly a popular choice...

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
Please point me to a Meal Kit product in the UK that costs around 10 pounds, and includes a bottle of wine, a main for two, side or starter, vegetable and a dessert...

Yes some of our stuff is getting expensive, but its swings and round abouts by and large currently.
Tesco Finest meal offer. It has been going for years. I think Marks and Spencer (similar to your Woolworths - which even sells some M&S 'St. Michael' brands now and again) started it yonks ago. I think they have just upped it to £12. I think there are others.
I have noticed the choice in Tesco has dropped off a bit recently, so it may be that a price increase is on the way, following M&S.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
As far as I can tell, those are ready meals (as in the things you throw in a Microwave), and not Meal packs with individually portioned fresh ingredients.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Tesco Finest meal offer. It has been going for years. I think Marks and Spencer (similar to your Woolworths - which even sells some M&S 'St. Michael' brands now and again) started it yonks ago. I think they have just upped it to £12. I think there are others.
I have noticed the choice in Tesco has dropped off a bit recently, so it may be that a price increase is on the way, following M&S.
I think you should be comparing it to Tesco's Finest meal and/or Waitrose's Cook Well.