Checkers Ready to Chef meal kits

Sorry, not sure why I said that when I meant Tesco's Recipe Box range.
I haven't spotted those! But Rhyl is a mid range branch, unlike the wider stocked branch at Chester (Broughton), so may not have the full range.
One thing I like about the Chequers idea is that you don't have to buy stuff for a recipe that will lie unused for evermore once a particular recipe has been made. Most of the recipies you see in the papers etc. are trying to be different in some way, and involve all sorts of extras. The BBC have a simple range of recipes that avoids a lot of that.

If you google 'cheese macaroni' you will see what I mean. Too many recipes with all sorts of extra flavourings, as for example mustard.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
"Developed by chefs. Cooked by you"

Is this the best marketing slogan they cooked up? Because this is what I'm currently doing by using a recipe book.

Although, I'd still buy it if has a 50% discount.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
No thanks for that price I can get two ready cooked meals delivered to my door.
I can get two proven-lekker, much larger, cooked meals to my door for R100. Agreed, this is nice but definitely a bit steep on the price. I think what I'll do is buy one or two kits I might like, mark out what ingredients you need, copy the recipe and just buy refill stuff from the shop in the future. Cheaper!

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I can get two proven-lekker, much larger, cooked meals to my door for R100. Agreed, this is nice but definitely a bit steep on the price. I think what I'll do is buy one or two kits I might like, mark out what ingredients you need, copy the recipe and just buy refill stuff from the shop in the future. Cheaper!
100% this..

But beyond the local home cooked stuff you can get delivered for less... the appeal of these meals is the zero wastage really... Whether its enough of an appeal to make them last is a different question, but I will be doing a similar thing to you... buying the kits I like... keeping the recipe card and then just making it with my own ingredients in the future.

The_David

Just remember these are not designed to be cheap, they are designed to be convenient.
For me ready made meals are either way to small, too expensive, not healthy or need to be ordered on a semi contract basis (week/months) worth well ahead of time. This is convenient for those in a rush to get home and easily prepare a good healthy meal with little thought days.
Might not be sustainable in the long run for checkers but for now it works for me...sometimes.