Checkers Sixty60 versus Woollies Dash

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Always got the feeling that Woolies thought they were doing YOU a favour by delivering rather than you doing THEM a favour by buying from them.

My wife swears by Sixty60 - the friction on PnP and Woolies is just too high (she had some hassle signing up with their app that took ages to sort out and then, on top of it all, the delivery service was kuk compared to Checkers)

KikzAzz

What is the quality of Checkers' online fresh produce and meat? Does it compare to Woolies?
There is a new Checkers that opened in Centurion. My wife always bought certain produce from Woolies, but now prefers this Checkers.

Definitely a different standard and different experience from other Checkers stores. Especially the smell. Don't know why Checkers stores always smell like food gone bad. And it is all of them.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
There is a new Checkers that opened in Centurion. My wife always bought certain produce from Woolies, but now prefers this Checkers.

Definitely a different standard and different experience from other Checkers stores. Especially the smell. Don't know why Checkers stores always smell like food gone bad. And it is all of them.
Ugh! Yes - one thing about PnP and Woolies, their stores aren't smelly.

Now if only they could match the Sixty60 service

wbot

Executive Member
I prefer giving cash as I reckon they get the tip (received via app) only at end of month.
Wonder also how much of the tip they get.
Haha I just recieved today's order and asked the driver.

Don't know if it's the same everywhere, but he says they get a weekly salary of R1000 plus their weekly tips on Fridays (if they work every day) . He gets between R100-R1000 or so just from tips every week. But with that he has to buy his own airtime, petrol etc. Some also choose to keep the bikes which they then pay off :)

He says he prefers to get his tips at the end of every week like this because then he knows he can pay rent etc which makes sense. If he got his tips every day he will just spend it all immediately.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Haha I just recieved today's order and asked the driver.
Cool, I will try asking the next guy to delivers to me, we can see if their stories alight :) So even if they get R1000 in tips per week plus the base salary of R1000, they have expenses that must come off from that. Not a stress free job and it's a valuable service so I'm happy to keep tipping what I do.

I asked the last MrD delivery guy what he gets paid per delivery and he said R24 per delivery. I've been tipping MrD and UberEats around R20, usually 15 to 20% of the order value. I must ask if they get a base salary.

It's irritating when they only allow one to tip in percentages though, like MrD jumps from 15% to 30%, so for this last order I tipped 15% and added R5 in cash.

zizo911

Executive Member
Been using checkers sixty regularly and loving it.

I actually went into the physical checkers store last week, but it was full of people and long lines.
Decided to use the app, and the groceries arrived just after me back at home.

Loving it and will rarely go into a store again..

Our sixty drivers make use of cars instead of bikes.

dunkyd

Executive Member
Used a SASSA card yesterday , order cancelled.
Oh well.

HS2000

The fruit salad from Checkers is terrible . The Mangoes weren't even sweet.

Last edited:

HS2000

Checkers Sixty60 app doesn't have the loyalty card specials. It is frustrating. I hate going into a physical store.

The only allow a max of 30 items to be purchased. Probably because the drivers use motorcycles for delivery.

Coasti

Expert Member
I use sixty60 a lot but just beware of prices of checkers. At times, woolies is way cheaper even if delivery is 15 rands costlier. This is today - just noticed when I was trying to place sixty60 order.

Woolies - 55 rands, 2 litre

Checkers, 70 rands, 2 litre
If you want to cherry pick, you will also find items cheaper at Checkers than Woolies..
Best to pick a basket of 30 identical items and then do a comparison.

surface

Honorary Master
If you want to cherry pick, you will also find items cheaper at Checkers than Woolies..
Best to pick a basket of 30 identical items and then do a comparison.
eish..have coffee man.. chilled will be better.