• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Checking LTE speed before committing to a contract

Hi - I'm still trying to figure out what connection option is best for us. I'm looking into LTE from the various service providers.

So far I've discovered that we are not in range to get Rain LTE.
Webafrica, Afrihost, Cell C have all told me that I can't get reliable LTE from them as we're not close enough to a tower.

Only Telkom LTE seems to be possible, according to their coverage map. One of my neighbours uses Telkom LTE and says she has "no problems". I'm going to ask her what kind of speeds she gets, but in case I can't get that information from her, is there any other way I can check the Telkom LTE connection and speed without actually committing to a 24 month contract?

Thanks!

iCuSD

I don't always believe the map maybe try find some one with such get them to come around to test.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Sorry for being dim...how exactly do I do this?

Buy a prepaid telkom sim card. Should I put it in my wireless router? (I do have one) Or my phone?
I'm not sure what the best device to test with is, probably the one that gives you the most detailed information regarding signal strength?

Nardeth

Sorry for being dim...how exactly do I do this?

Buy a prepaid telkom sim card. Should I put it in my wireless router? (I do have one) Or my phone?
buy a HUAWEI B315 LTE from Gumtree. buy sim cards from each provider at checkers load 200 MB - 1 GB Data. do speedtests with OOKLA speedtest app

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Super Moderator
buy a HUAWEI B315 LTE from Gumtree. buy sim cards from each provider at checkers load 200 MB - 1 GB Data. do speedtests with OOKLA speedtest app
Remember to connect to your router with an Ethernet cable, otherwise any glitches on your wifi affect your speedtest result.