Chernobyl (HBO miniseries)

Urist

Expert Member
No worries.

The first four episodes are brilliant... the fifth is even better.

Jared Harris needs to win all the awards for lead actor while Stellan Skarsgard and Emily Watson need all the supporting actor ones.

All.Of.Them.

The writers, directors, cinematographers, sound people, costume designers, makeup artists etc should win all of the rest. Also best thriller, drama, comedy, horror and documentary.

greg0205

Honorary Master
The writers, directors, cinematographers, sound people, costume designers, makeup artists etc should win all of the rest.
Goes without saying, and I suspect it’s exactly what we’ll see at every award show this year.

Not one thing that appeared on-screen was an overlooked detail and, without spoiling anything, John Renck’s direction of Harris’ main scene in that last episode was so simple and subtle, but I don’t think I breathed at all for the duration.

Cray

Honorary Master
Goes without saying, and I suspect it’s exactly what we’ll see at every award show this year.

Not one thing that appeared on-screen was an overlooked detail and, without spoiling anything, John Renck’s direction of Harris’ main scene in that last episode was so simple and subtle, but I don’t think I breathed at all for the duration.
Have been reading a lot of reviews from Russia and the Ukraine - all praise the accuracy of the sets and all the little things - like the cars in Pripyat having the correct registration plates. Think the whole production where committed to doing everything right and it shows...

Cinematography, music and acting where all top notch. Loved that last scene between Harris and Skarsgård.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The writers, directors, cinematographers, sound people, costume designers, makeup artists etc should win all of the rest. Also best thriller, drama, comedy, horror and documentary.
What genre is this series? I feel like it's it's own genre.

Disaster horror, Disaster Drama, Disaster thriller?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Have been reading a lot of reviews from Russia and the Ukraine - all praise the accuracy of the sets and all the little things - like the cars in Pripyat having the correct registration plates. Think the whole production where committed to doing everything right and it shows...

Cinematography, music and acting where all top notch. Loved that last scene between Harris and Skarsgård.
Wonder what Putin thought of it :unsure:

Cray

Honorary Master

FaSMaN

Expert Member
It was a fantastic mini series, and I hope it sets the bar for other history based miniseries.

Cray

Honorary Master
https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/03/chernobyl-craig-mazin-finale-interview/

And then just logically speaking, Soviet citizens didn’t speak English with Russian accents. They spoke Russian, so what are we even doing? It doesn’t make it more accurate to have them speak it with a Russian accent. Someone asked this at the TCAs and I gave this same very long answer, and when I was done Stellan just looked up and said, “Hamlet wasn’t in Danish.” [Laughs]
:laugh:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
And? Opinion changed?
Ja, definitely, it's very accurate. I'm impressed with the show. Was riveting!
I just hope this will not turn people off of Nuclear Power.
We're gonna need it for clean power going forward.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Spoiler alert. There won't be a Season 2

You know a series is good when even people who were there at the time rate it 10 / 10 and say how accurate it was.

Last edited:

daveza

Honorary Master
Dyatlov was there at the time of the explosion and the radiation leak, so how did he not only survive but was able to endure 3 years of labour camp ( sentenced to 10, given amnesty after 3 ) ?

gamer16

Honorary Master
Dyatlov was there at the time of the explosion and the radiation leak, so how did he not only survive but was able to endure 3 years of labour camp ( sentenced to 10, given amnesty after 3 ) ?
The dose he received meant he would have a 50% chance of dying within 30 days. You win some you lose some.