Chernobyl (HBO miniseries)

gamer16

Honorary Master
I wonder how much different the whole thing would have been had Stalin still been around and in power.

The_MAC

Executive Member
I wonder how much different the whole thing would have been had Stalin still been around and in power.
He would have probably wiped out all the people in a 30 sqm radius and tried to rather cover that up...

Kosmik

Honorary Master
..., don't know if Dyatlov's portrayal was completely accurate, he seemed comically arrogant so some of it does seem like dramatisation....
Haven't been in the working world long? I can easily believe that of some people.

theratman

Executive Member
He would have probably wiped out all the people in a 30 sqm radius and tried to rather cover that up...
Yip, then just murder everyone who knew about it. At least his predecessors made use of gulags. Classy fella old Stalin.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Exactly what I was thinking.

World after dosimeters go mental: Oi Russia WTF?
Stalin: Damn Americans!
World: We know something is wrong at Chernobyl!
Stalin: Points to Pripyat and gestures to the army:

theratman

Executive Member
Although Stalin probably would've just nuked Chernobyl for good measure. Fight fire with fire.

Urist

Expert Member
Haven't been in the working world long? I can easily believe that of some people.
Yeah, been long enough to see incompetent people put in charge because they toe the party line, but at the end of the day they were victims as well... of their own beliefs as well as a corrupt system which they were part of.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Came across this infoigraphic while browing FB...
It's interesting because it shows the other side of "Nuclear Fears"
This is the reality of ongoing emmission right now...
19875478_327554714348486_6428666191189184574_n.jpg

daveza

Honorary Master
1559750421356.png

Lyudmila Ignatenko suffered multiple strokes and lost her new-born daughter after a few days.

The epilogue said she now lives with her son in Kiev so I presume she remarried and was able to fall pregnant again.

All those we saw on the bridge in episode 1 died.

Urist

Expert Member
The HBO podcasts that accompany the show is available on youtube, they go through basically everything and explain it, what is 100% true, what is partially or probably true, and what is added for dramatic effect.

The_MAC

Executive Member
View attachment 668189

Lyudmila Ignatenko suffered multiple strokes and lost her new-born daughter after a few days.

The epilogue said she now lives with her son in Kiev so I presume she remarried and was able to fall pregnant again.

All those we saw on the bridge in episode 1 died.
What a close match to the actress

eg2505

Honorary Master
what a series!!! what an ending!!!!
GoT got nothing on this, them and their CGI dragons and bad endings and props that don't fit the time-frame.

what happened in Chernobyl, changed the world as we know it today, the only other superpower collapsed due to this.
and even today many of the liquidators are suffering from cancer rates and no recondition for some of their heroic deeds.

some of them saved Europe from being a deserted wasteland.