Chernobyl (HBO miniseries)

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
what a series!!! what an ending!!!!
GoT got nothing on this, them and their CGI dragons and bad endings and props that don't fit the time-frame.

what happened in Chernobyl, changed the world as we know it today, the only other superpower collapsed due to this.
and even today many of the liquidators are suffering from cancer rates and no recondition for some of their heroic deeds.

some of them saved Europe from being a deserted wasteland.
Yup. Best series I've watched in years. So glad I was fart-arsing around on YouTube a few months ago and came across the trailer!

Cray

Honorary Master
Yup. Best series I've watched in years. So glad I was fart-arsing around on YouTube a few months ago and came across the trailer!
It's a shame I can only give you one like, your OP was the first I'd heard of it - well spotted!

eg2505

Honorary Master
if anything this series has shown me the lengths we as humanity have gone to generate power,
I mean look locally during all the load-shedding we had, how literally everything ground to a halt.

because of that, maybe the price one pays for all the waste and danger is worth it?
as due to that one is able to Generate power quite sustainably, and reliably.
maybe in the long run, Nuclear power is worth it?

I dont know, maybe its price is worth all the trouble.

Cray

Honorary Master
if anything this series has shown me the lengths we as humanity have gone to generate power,
I mean look locally during all the load-shedding we had, how literally everything ground to a halt.

because of that, maybe the price one pays for all the waste and danger is worth it?
as due to that one is able to Generate power quite sustainably, and reliably.
maybe in the long run, Nuclear power is worth it?

I dont know, maybe its price is worth all the trouble.
At the very least the series shows the worst case scenario if we have to use nuclear power as a species, best to go in with eyes open as to all the potential risks so that safety is prioritized.

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
who is up for a series exploring Fukushima?

I know I am, one of the reasons Im such a fan of air crash investigation, or destroyed in Seconds
or any series explaining in detail what, how, and why something Happened.
Yeah I went on a Air crash investigation binge a few years back. Nothing more interesting than real life events.

eg2505

Honorary Master
What price is that?
the price of acres of fertile land and hundreds of people and loads of fields,
having to be abandoned FOREVER or the Half life of Cesium (50000 years)

and yes @Ockie poor innocent doggies being shot as their fur is contaminated.
and people having to get exposed to something they will never know is dangerous.

is the price of that worth it, knowing we can keep the lights on and our electric cars charged
and all the rest of "civilization's" trappings?

is the price worth it? are we willing to pay the price should something happen.
we have to completely and totally abandon a 30KM exclusion zone forever?

I mean look Locally, in SA we only have 1 Nuclear plant,
what if we went ahead and got 10 plants? we could probably never have load shedding
and have enough power to supply half of Africa with electricity.

but but, is the price worth it? should something happen,
acres would be abandoned forever, people uprooted from their homes
(in Chernobyl case, 300000 uprooted and never being able to return)

imagine a city as big as CPT completely abandoned, due to a accident at Koeberg.
yes the chances are exceedingly small, and safety since then is much improved.
but there is still a chance, just like flying, its very safe, until something (rare) happens,

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
the price of acres of fertile land and hundreds of people and loads of fields,
having to be abandoned FOREVER or the Half life of Cesium (50000 years)

and yes @Ockie poor innocent doggies being shot as their fur is contaminated.
and people having to get exposed to something they will never know is dangerous.

is the price of that worth it, knowing we can keep the lights on and our electric cars charged
and all the rest of "civilization's" trappings?

is the price worth it? are we willing to pay the price should something happen.
we have to completely and totally abandon a 30KM exclusion zone forever?

I mean look Locally, in SA we only have 1 Nuclear plant,
what if we went ahead and got 10 plants? we could probably never have load shedding
and have enough power to supply half of Africa with electricity.

but but, is the price worth it? should something happen,
acres would be abandoned forever, people uprooted from their homes
(in Chernobyl case, 300000 uprooted and never being able to return)

imagine a city as big as CPT completely abandoned, due to a accident at Koeberg.
yes the chances are exceedingly small, and safety since then is much improved.
but there is still a chance, just like flying, its very safe, until something (rare) happens,
It was a once off. Nuclear tech has changed dramatically and is still evolving daily and is the safest most effective option for the future.

eg2505

Honorary Master
It was a once off. Nuclear tech has changed dramatically and is still evolving daily and is the safest most effective option for the future.
so Fukushima was also a once off? and Fukushima had the latest safety features and containment
and still it melted down and contaminated the local area as well,

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
so Fukushima was also a once off? and Fukushima had the latest safety features and containment
and still it melted down and contaminated the local area as well,
Compared to damage and death caused by coal, oil and gas...it is a minuscule price to pay.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Still believe that there is alternative energy that is non-toxic and completely harmless to the environment and 100% efficient. (And no, not solar, it has its limitations, requires storage, not very efficient and doesn't scale well)

It's good money to continue down the path that the governments have chosen - even if its not the most efficient.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Still believe that there is alternative energy that is non-toxic and completely harmless to the environment and 100% efficient. (And no, not solar, it has its limitations, requires storage, not very efficient and doesn't scale well)

It's good money to continue down the path that the governments have chosen - even if its not the most efficient.
Dyson Sphere or fusion.

Fusion might be achievable at some point, but not for a long time still.