Chernobyl (HBO miniseries)

eg2505

Honorary Master
Dyson Sphere or fusion.

Fusion might be achievable at some point, but not for a long time still.
Im of the belief that Fusion when its perfected will be the time that humanity takes the next step to being a Galactic civilization.

right now were fighting among ourselves over scraps and dirt.

when we develop a truly unlimited power source, we take the next step in human evolution as a species.
if anything Chernobyl was a speed-bump, one we went through in our pursuit of that goal.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Im of the belief that Fusion when its perfected will be the time that humanity takes the next step to being a Galactic civilization.

right now were fighting among ourselves over scraps and dirt.

when we develop a truly unlimited power source, we take the next step in human evolution as a species.
if anything Chernobyl was a speed-bump, one we went through in our pursuit of that goal.
The problem with that is if we truly are to become so advanced and independent, what would the government do to get money.

Imagine everyone disconnects from the grid globally - poof, entire economies collapse.

Chernobyl (and any other power-plant for that matter) was governments way of producing the same for less and sell for the same. Sure, there is a pollution benefit, but not if it goes wrong.

Imagine 3 Chernobyls exploded around the world with delayed containment - we could literally wipe ourselves out from the face of the earth.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
so Fukushima was also a once off? and Fukushima had the latest safety features and containment
and still it melted down and contaminated the local area as well,
Fukushima incident was a result of a 9.0 Earthquake and 40m Tsunamis.

lord-of-war

I enjoyed it very much, including the podcasts and forum discussions. A really great way to enjoy a show.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Good thing no one droned on about certain historical and factual inaccuracies.
Point was to tell an old story and provide drama and tension which Chernobyl delivered in heaps.

You want accuracy go watch the docs and read the books.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Absolutely amazing mini-series.

Well produced, great pace, excellent acting and very well balanced story.

“Why worry about something that isn’t going to happen?”
“We should put that on our money.”

Not sure if this was actually said, but regardless, it sums up not only Chernobyl but much of what is wrong with the world today.

buka001

Expert Member
Is there any irony in watching this TV series on a bus, on your way to go build a nuclear power station?

Watching this, while reading the clients specifications for the Core Melt Stabilisation to capture the corium (the "lava" like material that comes from a meltdown) and the details on the Core CApture device that is there to attenuate the explosive force of the reactor pressure vessel (if it explodes) is quite a curious disposition I must say.

buka001

Expert Member
Oh as an aside, I work with 2 guys who built the new containment structure over Chernobyl. Very interesting talking to them about Chernobyl. They wore dosimeters everyday and logged their daily dosage. People who exceeded monthly requirements etc were sent away, to return a month later etc.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Oh as an aside, I work with 2 guys who built the new containment structure over Chernobyl. Very interesting talking to them about Chernobyl. They wore dosimeters everyday and logged their daily dosage. People who exceeded monthly requirements etc were sent away, to return a month later etc.
fascinating stuff,
did you ask them if they got to walk around Chernobyl the town? did they see the mutated catfish in the lake nearby?
or were they strictly forbidden from walking too much around?

buka001

Expert Member
fascinating stuff,
did you ask them if they got to walk around Chernobyl the town? did they see the mutated catfish in the lake nearby?
or were they strictly forbidden from walking too much around?
They stayed outside in a Contractors village and were trucked in and out. Were not allowed to do much walking about. Will ask them again if they ever did actually?

buka001

Expert Member
The world needs more pro-Nuclear advocates. We gonna need it.

Except it happened 6 months later.
Yeah but Mr Pro-Nuclear says they said in the show that it was because of radiation. They did not. You clearly see in the show the rotors hitting the tower crane.

Plus he characterised a few things in the hospital incorrectly. The nurses burnt their hands from radiated clothing, he says otherwise.

I am pro-nuclear. I am literally building a nuclear power station. Just find the author of that article a bit of a zealot when it comes to nuclear. I have followed him for ages.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Yeah but Mr Pro-Nuclear says they said in the show that it was because of radiation. They did not. You clearly see in the show the rotors hitting the tower crane.

Plus he characterised a few things in the hospital incorrectly. The nurses burnt their hands from radiated clothing, he says otherwise.

I am pro-nuclear. I am literally building a nuclear power station. Just find the author of that article a bit of a zealot when it comes to nuclear. I have followed him for ages.
What country you building the station in?