Chernobyl (HBO miniseries)

thestaggy

Honorary Master
It's a good question that, although it may not be popular soviet communism so far as I can tell had the people's best interest at heart, but the people as a whole and they seemed to understand that a lot of pain and suffering must be had for the good of the entire state.

Remember the old man in the meeting from the first episode where he said seal off the city no one leaves and cut the phone lines to contain the spread of misinformation. I kind of agree with that as things would have turned into chaos very quickly if the public were made aware of what was going on, even worse if the press got hold of it and made it 100 times worse as the press does.

Instead,everything was handled very calmly orderly and proficiently with relatively few casualties, everyone listened to what they were told, they packed things for a couple of days and they got on the busses without any fuss, imagine trying to do that with Americans or even with us.
I'd say Soviet leadership had the state and party at heart with the people a means to achieve the goals and ambitions of both.

The old man was a great example of someone making decisions for you and those decisions were purely for the benefit of the state. But in fairness any government any where in the world would try and contain information in the time of a crisis. Its just a lot easier to do it in a communist state because you also control the media directly. Using the US as an example; how do you stop CNN, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and MSNBC from spreading information? A lot easier for the Soviets when all news comes from a state-controlled source.

gamer16

Honorary Master
I'd say Soviet leadership had the state and party at heart with the people a means to achieve the goals and ambitions of both.

The old man was a great example of someone making decisions for you and those decisions were purely for the benefit of the state. But in fairness any government any where in the world would try and contain information in the time of a crisis. Its just a lot easier to do it in a communist state because you also control the media directly. Using the US as an example; how do you stop CNN, ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and MSNBC from spreading information? A lot easier for the Soviets when all news comes from a state-controlled source.
Indeed, the biggest problem though is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

alanB

I suppose the "benefits" of a totalitarian state where all people are subject to the "orders" of their superiors, is that you can enforce drastic changes quickly and relatively efficiently (provided those in charge are competent - which isn't always the case). Anyone dissenting just disappears in the night.

But the other side of that coin is that you don't need to go to any great lengths in ensuring the safety of your design and operating systems either (which caused the accident in the first place), because if a few thousand people die, what does that matter? You can just cover it up and order everyone back to work.

Personally I would not yearn to live in such a state.

The admirable thing about this story, if that was portrayed accurately, which it seems to be to some extent, is the bravery and selflessness of those individuals who just did what had to be done despite the conditions and the cost to themselves.

pedruid

Expert Member
I suppose the "benefits" of a totalitarian state where all people are subject to the "orders" of their superiors, is that you can enforce drastic changes quickly and relatively efficiently (provided those in charge are competent - which isn't always the case). Anyone dissenting just disappears in the night.

But the other side of that coin is that you don't need to go to any great lengths in ensuring the safety of your design and operating systems either (which caused the accident in the first place), because if a few thousand people die, what does that matter? You can just cover it up and order everyone back to work.

Personally I would not yearn to live in such a state.

The admirable thing about this story, if that was portrayed accurately, which it seems to be to some extent, is the bravery and selflessness of those individuals who just did what had to be done despite the conditions and the cost to themselves.
Excellent series. Even my wife watched it.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Despite denials, study claims 2017's mysterious radioactive cloud did come from Russia

n early October 2017 a number of European radiation monitoring bodies began to report spikes in atmospheric radioactivity. The information quickly spread across an informal network of monitoring stations known as the Ring of Five (Ro5). Georg Steinhauser, from the University of Hanover, explains the anomalous nature of this radioactive release was immediately apparent. And, within days, a number of reports from detection laboratories across Europe had verified this considerable, and unusual, event.

"The Ro5 members operate monitoring stations on a routine basis, as the surveillance measurements of the national radiation protection authorities," Steinhauser tells New Atlas. "We did not anticipate any release, but we observed it immediately, when it happened."

The radioactive isotope being detected was ruthenium-106 (106Ru). Not only was the atmospheric presence of this rare isotope highly unusual, but the fact it was measured in isolation was particularly strange. This suggested the leak came from a very specific source, most likely a nuclear reprocessing plant.

Linky

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Scientists have distilled vodka from ingredients found in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, creating the first consumer product out of the area since the nuclear disaster over 30 years ago. Called Atomik, the artisan vodka is actually an experiment from researchers looking into how much radioactivity would transfer over to crops grown in the zone, according to the Chernobyl Spirit Company, the team that created it.
Vodka.jpg

Source

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Just got around to watching this. Brilliant.

South Africa summarised in 5 episodes.