Chernobyl (HBO miniseries)

Cray

Honorary Master
For those interested, there's a great book out recently on this by Adam Higginbotham. Called Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster.
Almost finished the Audiobook, was nice to get that far before watching the first episode -very good account.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The culture was crazy back then in the USSR, people were only interested in throwing people lower down the pecking order under the bus instead of excepting the truth.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Can't believe how they could send that guy to the roof to check on the core, If I was him I'd run to for Siberia, also those firemen, shame, I was literally shouting at the TV when one of them picked up the piece of graphite.

eg2505

Honorary Master
loved that guy who said,
"your imagining things, your in shock, get him out of here"
when he came in shouting and screaming the reactor was gone.
(good to know he paid for that statement dearly, spent time in a gulag according to the files)

also loved that part with the "atomic tan"

gamer16

Honorary Master
loved that guy who said,
"your imagining things, your in shock, get him out of here"
when he came in shouting and screaming the reactor was gone.
(good to know he paid for that statement dearly, spent time in a gulag according to the files)

also loved that part with the "atomic tan"
I wished they'd used the same actor as they did in the documentary posted earlier, that guy really did it for me, was a proper nasty bad ass as I believe the actual guy was.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I wished they'd used the same actor as they did in the documentary posted earlier, that guy really did it for me, was a proper nasty bad ass as I believe the actual guy was.
guess budgets,

but the guy who really scared me was the chairman of the local communist party, when they were having the meeting,
"we must cut the phone lines, stop the flow of information"

and his speech, about communist labor and getting people to not focus on anything other than themselves,
something about that sounded so familiar, like some leaders closer to home.

gamer16

Honorary Master
guess budgets,

but the guy who really scared me was the chairman of the local communist party, when they were having the meeting,
"we must cut the phone lines, stop the flow of information"

and his speech, about communist labor and getting people to not focus on anything other than themselves,
something about that sounded so familiar, like some leaders closer to home.
Jip, what a creepy old man. Can't wait for the next episode, do we know when its due?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Must watch. Do they also ignore the Belarus fallout though.
sure they will show the "extermination squads"
those people sent to shoot all the dogs and cats left behind,

or the Chernobyl divers, who prevented an even bigger explosion, that would have wiped out Europe and made it uninhabitable for Centuries.
those were some brave guys, information is very sketchy though, some say they died after swimming through a soup of radiation,
others say they lived till 2005,

what scares me, is there are 10 of these RBMK 1000 reactors still in Service today, as electricity generation is still important.

eg2505

Honorary Master
@gamer16 16, if what Chernobyl looks like today and what the control room looks like now, interests you,
follow this user on youtube,
https://www.youtube.com/bionerd23

explored today, what Chernobyl looks like, including what the unit 4 control room looks like, including that golden corridor,
and one of the nearly identical units, unit 3 and how big the top plate of the reactor actually is,
interesting seeing how big the power station is, and what they did in the aftermath of the explosion. including the memorial for the one worker trapped inside and buried under rubble as it was too dangerous to recover his body.

for me what fascinating is seeing what the reactor control room looks like now, all stripped and rusty,
compared to what we saw on the miniseries.

gamer16

Honorary Master
@gamer16 16, if what Chernobyl looks like today and what the control room looks like now, interests you,
follow this user on youtube,
https://www.youtube.com/bionerd23

explored today, what Chernobyl looks like, including what the unit 4 control room looks like, including that golden corridor,
and one of the nearly identical units, unit 3 and how big the top plate of the reactor actually is,
interesting seeing how big the power station is, and what they did in the aftermath of the explosion. including the memorial for the one worker trapped inside and buried under rubble as it was too dangerous to recover his body.

for me what fascinating is seeing what the reactor control room looks like now, all stripped and rusty,
compared to what we saw on the miniseries.
Am very interested yeah, subbed to him just now, will have a look when I get home. I did see a video the other day where someone was walking around the reactor hall of unit 1/2, extraordinary interesting that, found myself pausing and staring at things a lot. I wonder what access to those places entails today as I'd love to go there.

I hope before they completely close unit 4 in the dome they send some unmanned vehicles to get us more pictures of whats going on inside.

gamer16

Honorary Master
@eg2505 Quite a number of good photos here

A view inside where you can clearly see the reactor lid that was blown off.

Last edited: