China bubonic plague: Inner Mongolia takes precautions after case

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Authorities in China have stepped up precautions after a city in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region confirmed one case of bubonic plague.

According to state reports, the Bayannur patient - a herdsman - is in quarantine and in a stable condition.

Officials said they were also investigating a second suspected case, according to China's Global Times.

The bubonic plague was once the world's most feared disease, but can now be easily treated.

The first case was reported as suspected bubonic plague on Saturday at a hospital in Urad Middle Banner, in Bayannur city. It is not yet clear how or why the patient might have become infected.

The second suspected case involves a 15-year-old, who had apparently been in contact with a marmot hunted by a dog, a tweet from Global Times said.

A level 3 alert, which forbids the hunting and eating of animals that could carry plague and calls on the public to report suspected cases, has been put in place until the end of the year.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I think we just need to close their borders to the rest of the world.. build a new wall around that country.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
just call them all covid-19 victims and be done with it, bubonic plague is so yesteryear!

thestaggy

Honorary Master
In May last year, two people in the country of Mongolia died from the plague, which they contracted after eating the raw meat of a marmot - the same type of rodent the second suspected case came into contact with.
Where is the forumite that wanted to argue with me in the other thread when I said we need to look at the way meat is handled and consumed?

surface

Executive Member
Where is the forumite that wanted to argue with me in the other thread when I said we need to look at the way meat is handled and consumed?
I know him but he is busy. What do you want to do with him?

bromster

Expert Member
This has been under watch since 2018. Low chance of spread, but if 2020 has taught us one thing it's "Never say never."

mak2000

Expert Member
There should be an extended travel ban on people from China - they can keep their viruses at home. They seem to be efficient at containing the viruses in their own country.