China's Gender Imbalance Could Leave 30 Million Men Without Wives

mercurial

MyBB Legend
SHANGHAI — Every weekend in Shanghai's 'People's Park Number Five,' they come — mothers, fathers, grandparents — all holding pictures and posters of young Chinese men and women who are looking for love.

Parental matchmaking isn't easy, according to one man who tells FOX News that he's been shopping for a wife for his 33-year-old son for six months.

His pitch to other parents is short and simple. "Got a home. Good looking. Good salary," reads his poster.

Because of China's one child policy to control its ever expanding population — now numbering 1.3 billion people — there has been a lopsided explosion of young boys. It's a cavernous gender gap that is unprecedented worldwide.

The ratio is up to 130 boys to every one hundred girls in some areas of China.

Traditional preferences for a son means that many women abort their baby if an early term sonogram shows it's a girl.

In the next 20 years, it's estimated that 30 million Chinese men won't be able to find wives. For mothers and fathers who visit the "People's Park" every weekend there's a lot more to it than just finding love for their kids. There's a tradition in China of the young looking after the old. The government hasn't paid pensions and provided health care for most Chinese. So many parents' social security is on the line.

[url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,562341,00.html] More... [/url]

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Such and irony....

100:1 that is the chances of you getting laid.

The cougers must be out in full force.

Rosaudio

First Officer
Women will just have to have 'more than one husband'.

Its being done already in other places if I recall correctly

guest2013-1

WTF?

First, they have a 1 child policy. ON TOP OF THAT they abort the pregnancy if it's a girl because of their traditional preferences for a boy.

If this isn't a Darwin award waiting to happen... I don't know what is

*News Bulletin 20 years from now*
And in China today, the last living woman aborted her unborn girl in preference to a boy, culminating in the loss of AN ENTIRE RACE of human beings in the world.

krycor

Honorary Master
Problem exists in India as well, gov laws are not at fault there but cultural pref. plus technology which means mothers know early on what they carry.

Kinda ironic the worlds largest 2 populations have sex ratio problems.

cerebus

Honorary Master
It's the perfect situation to foment a serious cultural revolution. I read somewhere that there is a parallel between inordinate amounts of young unmarried men and social uprising.

Voicy

Honorary Master
The world needs traditional wars again.

Not wars that blow up the country's infrastructure and leaves countless homeless. No. The kind of wars that killed off all the eligible young males while leaving the infrastructure in tact.

A good start would be China waging war against India. USA vs Russia, Brazil vs Indonesia.

InnerException

This reminds me of the similar situation arising in India. I cannot remember the original article I read, but a quick google search brought me to this link, which holds enough info. The reason in this case being more to do with the large dowry that must be supplied with daughters, hence parents choosing boys.

surface

Honorary Master
This reminds me of the similar situation arising in India. I cannot remember the original article I read, but a quick google search brought me to this link, which holds enough info. The reason in this case being more to do with the large dowry that must be supplied with daughters, hence parents choosing boys.

RIAZ HAQ, being a pakistani - would be non-partisan on this. :rolleyes:

Ou grote

Honorary Master
Aha, so that's what the chinks are looking for in Africa (other than rhino horn).

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
when social meddling results in antisocial practices. the opposite is true as well. for example incentivising single motherhood in britain with generous welfare grants for 14 year olds with 6 kids. in that case you end up with a nation of brats wanting handouts.

in china you end up with a nation of horny men with increasing levels of oppulence and no lives due to overwork. let's see where this powder keg goes...

davemc

Executive Member
Well, the net result will be a drop in population.
Is that not the INTENDED EFFECT?

Pitbull

Verboten
They have bigger problems come to think of it. Even the rest of the world love their woman they have. Thus the Poor Chinese men are pretty much fk'd :D

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I'm moving to China to start up a gay bar (or 10) bound to catch on soon.