Chinese carmaker ready to take on South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Chinese carmaker ready to take on South Africa

Chinese car manufacturer BAIC plans to claim market share from established global brands, according to a report in the City Press.

The company outlined its plans to take on well-known car companies at a ceremony which celebrated the completion of phase one of its local production facility.

BlackMamba

Expert Member
This must be good news to SA. I just hope they build quality cars and the prices be affordable as they are built locally.

H1TMANlol

At the rate new cars cost these days, I'd seriously consider something like this. It's all about affordability now . Can't be wasting bucks

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I'm very pleased to hear that they're going to abandon the internal combustion engine so soon. All manufacturers should do the same, and just as quickly.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I'm very pleased to hear that they're going to abandon the internal combustion engine so soon. All manufacturers should do the same, and just as quickly.
Are you sure you are ready for their electrical vehicle? only now were they beginning to get to grips with the internal combustion. Tesla is still struggling to perfect the thing, I don't know how cool i'd be in a Chinese car full of batteries.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Are you sure you are ready for their electrical vehicle? only now were they beginning to get to grips with the internal combustion. Tesla is still struggling to perfect the thing, I don't know how cool i'd be in a Chinese car full of batteries.
The internal combustion engine should've died 20 years ago. Development on it has long since plateaued. There is absolutely no doubt that it will soon be extinct. Tesla will be sold off to a major motor manufacturer one of these days.

Thor

Honorary Master
Have to agree I will take an electric car from Tesla/BMW/Nissan any day, but not from a low cost chinese guy looking for market share, we saw how those hoverboard ended up.

Thor

Honorary Master
Reading that article it is unclear to me if they will have electric cars here, seems from the article they will produce fuel-powered vehicles here and electric cars in china.

Electric Chinese car built in SA? Nope nope nope...