Chinese Tablet Buyers Guide.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
How's this Dixon working out for you?

Looking around at 10"+ tablets, it's hard to find anything locally that comes close to those stats...
Works great. Netflix is 480p only and the mono loadspeaker is not great but that will be the case with all these cheap Chinese tablets. Only fault with this tablet specifically is the 2gig ram so apps have to reload frequently. Not a big deal for me but something to keep in mind. Using it for Youtube and Magster etc. and it’s great for me.

Ah. Did you send if back to Cash Crusaders directly or how did they handle that?
Yes just take it back to them and they'll send it down to Cape Town. Takes 3 to 4 weeks to troubleshoot and fix which is about the standard time.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
And how would you compare the tablet to the budget Samsungs and Xiaomis of this world? Worth it for just over R2k?
Don't think you get the Xiaomi locally. The Samsung and Huawei will have 1080p Netflix afaik but for me it's not worth it to pay double the price for that.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Don't think you get the Xiaomi locally. The Samsung and Huawei will have 1080p Netflix afaik but for me it's not worth it to pay double the price for that.
Ya, I was thinking about it for some Netflix and some Magzter reading, in fact. Nothing too taxing...

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Works great. Netflix is 480p only and the mono loadspeaker is not great but that will be the case with all these cheap Chinese tablets. Only fault with this tablet specifically is the 2gig ram so apps have to reload frequently. Not a big deal for me but something to keep in mind. Using it for Youtube and Magster etc. and it’s great for me.

Yes just take it back to them and they'll send it down to Cape Town. Takes 3 to 4 weeks to troubleshoot and fix which is about the standard time.
I guess one unknown will be how many updates you'll get on the device before it becomes obsolete. Samsung are usually not too bad when it comes to that... Apps seem to last through lots of version changes

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I guess one unknown will be how many updates you'll get on the device before it becomes obsolete. Samsung are usually not too bad when it comes to that... Apps seem to last through lots of version changes
Doubt it'll get any updates but Android 9 will still be supported for many years.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Doubt it'll get any updates but Android 9 will still be supported for many years.
I don't know what you mean by "many".

Or supported for that matter.

Apps will probably still work as long as the tablet lives but after a year or two you'll likely stop getting security updates. I've never seen an Android device getting more than three years of security patches.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I don't know what you mean by "many".

Or supported for that matter.

Apps will probably still work as long as the tablet lives but after a year or two you'll likely stop getting security updates. I've never seen an Android device getting more than three years of security patches.
Which I suppose means it doesn't matter whether you spend lots more to buy a brand name Android device or one of these Chinese ones...

newby_investor

Expert Member
Which I suppose means it doesn't matter whether you spend lots more to buy a brand name Android device or one of these Chinese ones...
I had a Hisense tablet a few years ago. In the age of Android 4.4. I think it got patches for about 1 year after I bought it.

My Nokia 8 however was getting security patches until my son destroyed it, after it was nearly 3 years old.

That may not be an issue for you. For reading magazines and watching YouTube, I don't think security is a huge issue. I've looked at getting one of these Teclast tablets myself. Since I've got my internet banking and 2FA on my phone, I think it's worth spending a bit more for longer support with security.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I had a Hisense tablet a few years ago. In the age of Android 4.4. I think it got patches for about 1 year after I bought it.

My Nokia 8 however was getting security patches until my son destroyed it, after it was nearly 3 years old.

That may not be an issue for you. For reading magazines and watching YouTube, I don't think security is a huge issue. I've looked at getting one of these Teclast tablets myself. Since I've got my internet banking and 2FA on my phone, I think it's worth spending a bit more for longer support with security.
Yes, it's true. It's always going to depend on your use-case as well. Definitely would want longer security patch support it this was going to be a main device...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Not for me. Paying double or more the price I'll rather just buy cheaper and upgrade more frequently.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Not for me. Paying double or more the price I'll rather just buy cheaper and upgrade more frequently.
And the repurpose the old device. Use it as a browser. Stick it on your fridge. Cast things from it. Digital photo frame as a last resort.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
And the repurpose the old device. Use it as a browser. Stick it on your fridge. Cast things from it. Digital photo frame as a last resort.
Yeah or a dedicated GPS, adding Wifi to your speakers, webcam, night clock, mifi hotspot etc. Many use cases.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Gearbest currently has a special on their newish teclast P20HD for R2178.00, which is a really good deal for a budget tablet with 1920 x1080 screen, 4/64gig, USB C and sports the unisoc 9863a octa core, 2.5d screen means it is likely fully laminated and captive response should overall be pretty good and should do well in brightly lit areas.Bonus is android 10.

If it wasn't for the rand it would have been closer to 1.5k ish, but regardless at 2k is a pretty sweet deal especially with android 10.

Teclast haven't released any new models this year worth noting, P20hd being the only one so far, so I expect new releases early next year, as the T30, M16 and M30 is on special, so they are likely trying to get rid off stock before pushing out new tablets.

The T30 is currently on special as well as the keyboard, 3.3k for the T30 and R522 for the keyboard, decent deal at 3.8 ish.