Chip shortage delays Unlimited Air Fibre rollout in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Unlimited Air Fibre rollout in South Africa delayed by chip shortage

Over 25,000 people have signed up for Supersonic's Unlimited Air Fibre service since it was first announced in February, but the company has only been able to connect fewer than 100 subscribers due to the global chip shortage.

Supersonic explained the issues it is facing with getting networking equipment after MyBroadband Forum members reported being unable to take up the new wireless uncapped service due to stock issues.

The ISP connected its first commercial customer with Unlimited Air Fibre in early May, and at the time said it had big plans for an expansion across various locations without fibre connectivity.

Supersonic CEO Calvin Collet stated the aim was to connect 60,000 homes one year after the service's launch.

“The stock issues have been incredibly frustrating for us as we’re sure they’ve been for other international service providers sitting with the same issue,” Supersonic said.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
My money is still on that Supersonic just got swindled
Same thinking here, no real world tech reviews of Tarana Wireless.
Only a few videos online of men in suits saying how wonderful their devices are standing on a roof.
I have hunted for spec sheets and real world tests of these devices, came up empty.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
We're taking this for a spin soon, so we'll hopefully be able to tell y'all that this works based on real experience at one of the installed sites.

But I am seeing smaller equipment manufacturers shutter operations due to the chip shortage. Hopefully that doesn't happen to Supersonic's supplier.

RIP Swiftpoint.

system32

Expert Member
Unlimited Air Fibre rollout in South Africa delayed by chip shortage
What's the reason for this global chip shortage?
Was it Trump's "security reasons" ban - no SMIC/China chips can be imported into US?
Was it Trump banning some US companies from selling chips/chip making equiment to China, resulting in SMIC having to produce more for local?
SMIC produce 24nm and 14nm - which are the ones in short supply - used by Cars/IoT/Routers/Switches stuff.

The 7nm and 5nm are used in high end equipment or low power equipment - top cell phones, top laptops, top GPU.

Can anyone advise as to the real reason for the chip shortages?

hj007

Expert Member
Was it Trump's "security reasons" ban - no SMIC/China chips can be imported into US?
Was it Trump banning some US companies from selling chips/chip making equiment to China, resulting in SMIC having to produce more for local?
SMIC produce 24nm and 14nm - which are the ones in short supply - used by Cars/IoT/Routers/Switches stuff.

The 7nm and 5nm are used in high end equipment or low power equipment - top cell phones, top laptops, top GPU.

Covid + demand plummeted therefore less supply. Now full demand again and supply is trying to catch up quicker than expected.

Kaysway

If it looks like a scam, sounds like a scam, guess what? It’s most likely a scam. Supersonic run their company like it’s a local spaza shop, I’m not even surprised this is happening.

WalkWithMe

So first thing first it is Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC)
There is no simple answer to the question. Drought in Taiwan to demand to hoarding by certain sectors and under ordering by others. The global supply chain is affected. Sort of a problem when most of the majority of chips are made by one company.

There is many articles on this. Coldfusion on YouTube did a video a few weeks back which helps explain things.
Other Youtubers like Linux, Tech Potato also going to explain.

SMIC is a small player.

1624524612057.png

wernervn

Over 25,000 people have signed up for Supersonic’s Unlimited Air Fibre service since it was first announced in February, but the company has only been able to connect fewer than 100 subscribers
The way these guys over-promise and under-deliver seem to be their business strategy. I hope they (and their
clients) realise that it is not sustainable.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Can we just stop calling it air fibre, please MTN! It's like those people who call their internet WiFi.
I dont mind them calling it anything all I want is for them to install it and fix the routing that it goes through CPT lol

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I dont mind them calling it anything all I want is for them to install it and fix the routing that it goes through CPT lol
Their routing isn't bad at all but depends where you are and what servers you are trying to ping, try Cloudflare warp, which helped us for a bit.

SuperMario

Their routing isn't bad at all but depends where you are and what servers you are trying to ping, try Cloudflare warp, which helped us for a bit.
Supersonic has terrible routing. They don't know what they're doing.

hansotto

I'm in Rustenburg.
Received a call today from Supersonic regarding the Air Fibre. They will only be starting next year. I presume that she was talking about Rustenburg, but it probably holds true for other places too.